-Score: No. 2 Merrimack 10, Assumption 5
-Records: Merrimack (10-1, 8-1 NE10), Assumption (7-4, 5-4 NE10)
-Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: Assumption and No. 2 Merrimack were even 2-2 midway through the second quarter and the Hounds trailedjust 6-3 entering the fourth but the Warriors finished the contest strong on the way to a 10-5 victory in conference play on Tuesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Merrimack led the first quarter, scoring their first goal with 10:21 remaining in the quarter. The Warriors second goal came only two minutes later. The Hounds were able to keep Merrimack at bay and trailed just 2-0 to end the first quarter, as Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham & Monson) had several key saves.
- Sophomore Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central) scored the first goal for Assumption, with 13:08 remaining in the second quarter. Soon after, Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) tallied another one for the Hounds with 9:30 left in the half. Merrimack came back to match Assumption's two goals, scoring both within the final five minutes of the half to lead 4-2.
- In the third, Merrimack kept the run going with two goals over the first three minutes, making it 6-2. Trevor Kennedy (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y. / Comsewogue) was able to score a goal with 1:08 left to close the gap to 6-3 entering the fourth.
Merrimack scored four consecutive goals in the first five minutes of the final quarter, for a 10-3 advantage. Tommy Galvin (Canton, Mass. / Canton) tallied his first goal off a feed from Spencer Marocchini (Somers, Mass. / Wilbraham and Monson) with 5:31 left and Reid added another a minute later for the 10-5 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption was outshot 36-18 in the contest while Merrimack picked up nine more ground balls (34-25) but was 0-for-5 on man-up opportunities. Hamwey took the loss, though he had 14 saves while Merrimack's Peter Brown had four saves.
- Reid and Kennedy led the Hounds in points with two, as Reid scored twice while Kennedy had one goal and one assist. Jennings and Galvin also tallied one goal. Galvin also had three ground balls, while Connor Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) picked up six.
- Merrimack's Sean Black led the Warriors in points with five total, tallying two goals and three assists while Charlie Bertrand also tallied two goals.
- The Hounds return to action on Saturday when they host Saint Anselm for senior day, beginning at 1 pm.