- Score: Assumption 13, Bentley 12
- Record: Assumption (7-2, 5-2 NE10), Bentley (3-6, 2-5 NE10),
- Location: Waltham, Mass.
- The Lead: Assumption used a strong third quarter to grab a three-goal advantage and held off Bentley in the final 15 minutes to come away with a crucial conference victory, 13-12, over the Falcons on Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sophomore Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central) gave Assumption a 1-0 lead just 1:20 into the contest. Bentley tied it up at 7:25, but Trevor Kennedy (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y. / Comsewogue) answered back two minutes later for a 2-1 advantage. Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) then scored with seven seconds left in the first for the 3-1 lead.
- Reid made it 4-1 at 13:40, before the Falcons the trimmed it to 4-2 one minute later. Three straight goals by Dan Farrell (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood), Dan Matisoff (Milton, Mass. / Milton) and Patrick Ward (Canton, Mass. / Kents Hill School) extended the advantage to 7-2 with 8:03 left. However, Bentley scored the final four goals of the half, including one with nine seconds remaining to trail just 7-6.
- Matisoff and Ward pushed the lead back to 9-6 in the opening five minutes of the third. The Falcons answered with two goals, however, Kennedy and Reid countered with two before the end of the period for a three-goal lead.
- Bentley led off the fourth with consecutive tallies to cut the deficit to 11-10 with 9:42 remaining. Reid connected on his fourth of the game at 8:04, but the Falcons trimmed it to one, 12-11, with 3:29 remaining. Farrell gave the Hounds some breathing room with 2:30 and Bentley managed a goal with one second left for the 13-12 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Hounds were actually outshot 40-28 in the contest, though each team had 21 shots on goal. Assumption won 17 of 27 face-offs while picking up 18 more ground balls (38-20). Connor Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) won all the face-offs and had seven ground balls.
- Reid scored seven points on four goals and three assists while Farrell had four points (2g, 2a) with six ground balls. Kennedy, Ward and Matisoff each scored twice. Aidan Murphy (Saratoga Springs, N.Y. / Christian Brothers Academy) picked up a team-high nine ground balls with one caused turnover.
- Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham & Monson) earned the win in net, making nine saves. Michael Haggan took the loss in net for Bentley, stopping eight shots.
- The Hounds return to action on Saturday when they host Saint Rose at 1 pm.