-Score: Adelphi 17, Assumption 10
-Record: Assumption (5-2, 3-2 NE10), Adelphi (7-1, 6-0 NE10)
-Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
The Lead: Assumption scored two minutes into the fourth quarter to pull within two, 12-10, against fifth-ranked Adelphi, however, the Panthers responded with five goals over the next seven minutes to pull away for a 17-10 victory over a soggy Wednesday afternoon in conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption started strong, scoring two minutes into the quarter on a goal by Jason Hughes (Watertown, Mass. / Watertown). Adelphi responded with two of their own within two minutes of one another. The Panthers limited Assumption to two more goals in the first quarter while tallying four more themselves, for a score 6-3 at the end of the period. With strong defense from the Hounds, Adelphi was limited to three goals in the second quarter. Unfortunately, Assumption was shut out and trailed 9-3 at half.
- In the third, Assumption scored twice in the opening six minutes on goals from Trevor Kennedy (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y. / Comsewogue) and Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central). Adelphi scored twice, but the Hound offense came alive with four more goals in the quarter. Junior Dan Farrell (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) and Jennings registered back-to-back goals, and a second from Farrell left the Hounds down just 12-9 entering the fourth.
- Junior Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) scored at 13:18 of the fourth on a great individual effort to close the gap to 12-10. Adelphi answered less than a minute later and put the game away with four goals in a two-minute span later in the period to provide the seven-goal final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Adelphi held a 46-31 edge in shots and won 22 of 30 face-offs while picking up seven more ground balls (35-27). Assumption did have 111 caused turnovers.
- Junior Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham & Monson) tallied 11 saves in the game while giving up 17 goals as he took the loss. Aidan Murphy (Saratoga Springs, N.Y. / Christian Brothers Academy) picked up three ground balls while Connor Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) had four ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Travis Reid led the Hounds with five points, tallying three goals and two assists while Jennings was right behind with three goals. Kennedy chipped in one goal, one assist, two ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Brendan McDougal stopped six shots with 10 goals allowed to earn the victory. Nicolas Racalbuto led Adelphi with seven goals and one assist while Michael Osmundsen had five goals and one assist.
- The Hounds return to action on Saturday when they travel to face Franklin Pierce at 11 am.