- Score: Assumption 16, American International 8
- Record: Assumption (4-0, 2-0 NE10), American International (1-7, 0-4 NE10)
- Location: Springfield, Mass. (Abdow Field)
- The Lead: Assumption jumped out to a 7-2 lead through the first quarter and extended its lead through the final 45 minutes on the way to a 16-8 conference victory over American International on Saturday evening in conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Trevor Wilcox (Somers, Mass. / East Catholic) scored just 1:09 into the game and Owen Peterson III (Westchester, N.Y. / Westlake) made it 2-0 less than one minute later. AIC evened the game up with a pair of goals, though Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central) gave Assumption back the lead, 3-2 with 9:35 left. The Hounds scored four more goals in the period, including a pair from Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) for a 7-2 lead through one.
- The Yellow Jackets scored the first goal of the second, before Reid completed his hat trick with 11:23 left. Jennings followed with a goal at 10:08 for the 9-3 advantage. Reid, Dan Farrell (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) and Adam Becker (Waltham, Mass. / Waltham) each scored to give Assumption a 12-3 lead at the break.
- Senior Patrick O'Brien (Oyster Bay, N.Y. / St. Dominic) stretched the Hound lead to ten goals early in the third and Spencer Marocchini (Somers, Mass. / Wilbraham and Monson) made it 14-3 with 6:37 left. AIC scored four consecutive goals between the end of the third and the beginning of the fourth to close it to 14-7 with 10:28 remaining. Assumption answered with two goals in the final four minutes while the Yellow Jackets added one more for a 16-8 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption outshot AIC 42-28 and picked up 17 more ground balls (37-20) while winning 16 of 27 face-offs.
- Five players had at least two points, led by Reid with four goals on four shots with four assists and two ground balls. Jennings added two goals and one assist while Connor Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) picked up a team-high eight ground balls.
- Goalie Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham & Monson) improved to 4-0 on the season, making eight saves and allowing seven goals in 50:37. Jacob Azzinaro (Ivoryton, Conn. / Valley Regional) stopped two shots in 6:05 of action.
- The Hounds return to action on Wednesday when they travel to face off against No. 2 Le Moyne at 4 pm.