- Score: Assumption 15, Southern New Hampshire 14 - OT
- Record: Assumption (6-7, 5-6 NE10), Merrimack (9-5, 6-5 NE10)
- Location: Manchester, N.H. (Larkin Field)
The Lead: Assumption trailed Southern New Hampshire 14-12 in the final minute of action, but scored twice in the final 32 seconds of regulation to force overtime and then tallied the game-winning goal with just 13 seconds left in OT to secure a 15-14 win on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Freshman Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central High School) gave Assumption an early 1-0 lead but Southern N.H. answered back with a pair of goals and led 3-2 after the first quarter.
- It was all Penmen in the second, scoring six straight goals to extend their lead to 9-2 with 3:11 left in the period. Dan Matisoff (Milton, Mass. / Milton) added a goal with 3:38 left to go into the break down 9-3.
- Trevor Wilcox (Somers, Mass. / East Catholic High School) made it 9-4 at 9:50, but Southern N.H. countered 14 seconds later to pull ahead by six once again. Freshman Trevor Kennedy (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y. / Comsewogue) started the Hound comeback with a goal at 9:02, followed by two Jennings goals and one from TJ McNicholas (Newton, Mass. / Newton North) with 3:30 left to trail 10-8. The Penmen scored with four seconds left for an 11-8 advantage at the end of the period.
- Southern N.H. extended its lead to 12-8 at 9:46 of the fourth, but Kennedy and Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) both scored in the next minute to trail 12-10. Jennings trimmed the deficit to just one at 4:06 but the Penmen scored two of the next three goals to take a 14-12 lead with 46 seconds left. Assumption won the ensuring faceoff and Travis Reid scored with just 32 seconds remaining. Connor Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) won the next faceoff Kennedy came through with a goal with just seven seconds left to tie it 14-14.
- Both teams has chances in overtime and with just 27 seconds left Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham Monson Academy) made a big save. The Hounds cleared the ball all the way downfield and T. Reid was able to grab it and put home the game-winner with just 13 seconds remaining in overtime.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption was outshot by Southern New Hampshire 45-32 but went 2-for-5 on the man up and won 18 of 31 face-offs. C. Reid won all 18 face-offs, including an 8-for-10 performance in the fourth quarter.
- Kennedy led the offense with four goals and two assists, while Jennings posted four goals. T. Reid added three goals and one assist.
- Hamwey earned the win in net by making 13 saves and allowing 14 goals. Michael Brawley took the loss as he allowed all 15 goals and stopped nine shots.