- Score: Pace 9, Assumption 7
- Record: Pace (10-2, 8-2 NE10), Assumption (5-7, 4-6 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
The Lead: Assumption jumped out to a 2-0 lead on No. 6 Pace and then held a 6-5 lead in the third quarter, but the Setters outscored the Hounds 4-1 over the final 16 minutes of regulation to escape with a 9-7 victory on Senior Day.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Connor Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) won the opening faceoff and Assumption capitalized as brother Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) scored off a Trevor Kennedy (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y. / Comsewogue) feed just 55 seconds in the game for a 1-0 lead. The Hounds made it 2-0 a minute later as Kennedy found Jason Hughes (Watertown, Mass. / Watertown High School). Pace answered with a goal at 10:38 and two goals in a 30 second span made it 3-2 before the Setters added one more for a 4-2 advantage after one quarter.
- Pace stretched its lead to 5-2 at 12:18 but the Assumption defense didn't allow another goal in the quarter and T. Reid scored unassisted with 27 seconds left in the half to trail just 5-3 at the break.
- Kennedy fed Reid for a goal at 11:50 of the third to close the gap to one and then Patrick Ward (Canton, Mass. / Kents Hill School) ripped an underhand shot into the bottom of the net to even the game 5-5 with 9:22 left. Dan Farrell (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) gave the Hounds a 6-5 lead with 5:07 off another Kennedy assist. Pace answered with just 21 seconds left and then won the faceoff and scored with only seven seconds remaining to take a 7-6 lead going into the fourth.
- Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central High School) opened the fourth with a goal at 12:59 to tie it up at seven apiece. The Setters took back the lead one minute later and then scored an insurance goal with 9:16. Assumption kept up the pressure and got off seven shots in the last three minutes but wasn't able to close the gap, falling 9-7.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption was outshot just 35-30 in the contest but did pick up more ground balls (27-26). Each team turned the ball over 12 times though Pace won 13 of 19 face-offs.
- Kennedy dished off a career-best four assists and had four ground balls, while T. Reid had a hat trick. Adam Burnes (Braintree, Mass. / Archbishop Williams) was solid on defense with three caused turnovers while Mike Leonard (Westwood, Mass. / Westwood) picked up three ground balls.
- Sophomore Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham Monson Academy) had three ground balls and two caused turnovers while also making 14 saves but was saddled with the loss as he allowed nine goals. Robert Beshlian earned the win as he had ten saves and allowed seven goals.
- The game marked the final home regular season game for Assumption's two seniors, starting defenseman Jack Drapeau (Westford, Mass. / Westford Academy) and starting midfieler TJ McNicholas (Newton, Mass. / Newton North). They've helped the Hounds to 22 wins overall as both started on Saturday.
-The Hounds are back in action on Saturday when they conclude their regular season at Southern New Hampshire at 12 pm.