- Score: Merrimack 17, Assumption 4
- Record: Merrimack (10-2, 8-2 NE10), Assumption (5-6, 4-5 NE10
- Location: North Andover, Mass. (Martone-Mejail Field)
The Lead: Fourth-ranked Merrimack scored twice in the opening two minutes while scoring five goals apiece in the first and second periods to come away with a 17-4 victory over Assumption in NE10 action on Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Warriors scored two goals in the opening 80 seconds and extended their lead to 5-0 at the end of the first with a goal by Tim Towler with just five seconds remaining in the quarter. Merrimack made it 6-0 just ten seconds into the second and scored four more times for a 10-0 advantage at the half.
- Freshman Jason Hughes (Watertown, Mass. / Watertown High School) put Assumption on the board at 10:33 off an assist from Dan Farrell (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood). The Warriors responded with a pair of goals less than a minute apart, before Patrick Ward (Canton, Mass. / Kents Hill School) answered off a Farrell feed to with 1:28 left to make it 12-2 going to the fourth.
- In the final period, Merrimack outscored the Hounds 5-2, with Assumption's goals coming from Farrell and Spencer Marocchini (Somers, Mass. / Wilbraham and Monson Academy).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Merrimack outshot the Hounds 48-21 and picked up three more ground balls (34-31) while also winning 13 of 24 face-offs.
- Farrell led Assumption with three points on one goal and two assists while Hughes had one goal and one assist. Defensively, Adam Burns (Braintree, Mass. / Archbishop Williams) had four ground balls and one caused turnover while Jack Drapeau (Westford, Mass. / Westford Academy) had two caused turnovers and two ground balls.
- Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham Monson Academy) took the loss as he stopped 13 shots while allowing 15 goals in 49:59. Edward Hellier improved to 9-2 as he made five saves without allowing a goal in 30 minutes.
-The Hounds are back in action on Wednesday when they travel to face Merrimack at 7 pm.