- Score: Assumption 4, Franklin Pierce 3
- Record: Assumption (10-8-2, 6-5-1 NE10), Franklin Pierce (5-14-1, 2-7-1 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Buffone Arena)
The Lead: After a hard fought battle, the Assumption men's ice hockey team beat Franklin Pierce 4-3 on Saturday night with a game winning goal from freshman John Chamberlain (Amesbury, Mass./Williston North Hampton School) in the third period.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Franklin Pierce got on the board first with an unassisted goal from Lucas Luppino. Assumption answered with not one, but two goals to take the 2-1 lead going into the second period. The first goal was scored by Tom Mahoney (Braintree, Mass./ Boston Bandits (EHL)), assisted by Matt Damelio (Rochester, N.Y./ Northwood (Prep)) and Brian Farrell (Island Park, N.Y./South Kent School (USHPL U18)) at 10:25. This same trio found the net with just 58 seconds left in the period as Damelio scored this time around with the assist from Farrell and Mahoney.
- The Ravens netted the first goal of the second period from Jack Williams to tie the game 2-2. Assumption struck again as Peter McDonagh (Latrobe, Pa. / Boston Jr. Bruins (USPHL Elite)) scored a goal with 1:55 remaining in the period to take the 3-2 lead. Seniors Cam Laughlin (Natick, Mass. / Portland Jr. Pirates (USPHL Premier)) and Matt Cowles (Farmington, Conn./Avon Old Farms (Prep)) were credited with the assists.
- 8:18 into the third period, Assumption extended the lead to 4-2 as Chamberlain scored assisted by senior defenseman Brian Pickett (Wilmington, Mass./Hebron Academy (Prep)) and McDonagh. With 5:43 to go Franklin Pierce forward David Wilcox beat David Zulauf (Rochester, MI/Bridgton Academy) to close the gap to 4-3 but it was not enough as the Hounds picked up the win to sweep the Ravens in an NE10 weekend series.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Hounds outshot the Ravens 36-18 and went 2 for 7 on the power play. McDonagh, Damelio, Farrell, and Mahoney each tallied two points in the contest.
- Zulauf made 15 saves in the win while Raven goaltender Tom McGuckin made 32 in the loss.
- Next Tuesday, January 30, the Hounds will host Southern New Hampshire at 7:35 pm.