- Score: Stonehill 72, Assumption 54
- Records: Stonehill (15-10, 11-8 NE10), Assumption (7-18, 3-16 NE10)
- Location: Easton, Mass. (Paula Sullivan Court)
- The Lead: Assumption trailed by 32 points at the half, but outscored Stonehill by 14 points over the final 20 minutes of action as the Hounds dropped a 72-54 contest on the road Saturday afternoon in conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Stonehill jumped out to a 9-2 lead in the opening 2:18 and stretched its lead to 19-4 at 13:26 of the first. Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) made a three to pull within 12, but eight straight by the Skyhawks extended it to 27-7. Stonehill continued its torrid shooting over the final ten minutes of the half, eventually pushing its lead to 30 points with 4:43 left in the period. The Skyhawks went into the halftime break leading the Hounds 51-19.
- Freshman Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) led off the second with a three as Assumption scored the first six points of the period. Stonehill got on the board at 17:31, but the Hounds then went on a 7-0 run over the next four minutes to cut the deficit to 53-32.
- The teams traded baskets over the following nine minutes, and Bryan Boehlert (Gaithersburg, Md. / Magruder) connected on a triple to cut it to 59-41 with 7:49 remaining in regulation. A pair of free throws trimmed the deficit to 17 with 5:30 left and Assumption got as close as 15 over the last four minutes before ultimately falling by 18 points.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 35.2 percent overall in the contest and was only 8-for-27 from downtown while making 8 of 16 free throw attempts. Stonehill, meanwhile, hit 46.3 percent of its shots, including 14-for-28 from beyond the arc. The Hounds did hold a 37-36 rebounding edge in the contest.
- Kelly led Assumption with 12 points, four rebounds, three steals and two assists while Fleming posted a double-double of 10 points, 11 rebounds and five assists. Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) added 10 points, seven boards, four assists and three steals. Nick Pasquale (Shrewsbury, Mass. / Worcester Academy) supplied eight points, eight rebounds and three blocks off the bench.
- Five players scored in double figures for Stonehill, led by Will Moreton with 18 points, seven rebounds, five assists and four steals. Owen Chase added 12 points off the bench.
- Assumption concludes its season on Tuesday when the team hosts Southern New Hampshire at 7:30 pm.