- Score: Saint Anselm 73, Assumption 62
- Records: Saint Anselm (3-1, 2-0 NE10), Assumption (0-4, 0-2 NE10)
- Location: Manchester, N.H. (Stoutenburgh Gym)
- The Lead: Assumption outscored Saint Anselm over the final 19 minutes of action but an 11-point first-half deficit was too much to overcome as the Hounds fell 73-62 on the road Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption jumped out to a 7-3 lead in the opening three minutes, though nine straight by the Hawks put them back in front 12-7. The Hounds came back to take the lead, 28-26, on a triple by Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) with 9:49 remaining in the period.
- The teams traded baskets and Assumption found themselves down just 23-22 at 7:20 on a pair of Joe Sullivan (Utica, N.Y. / Notre Dame HS / Mohawk Valley CC) free throws. Saint Anselm responded with 11 consecutive points and eventually took a 35-34 lead into the break.
- In the second half, the Hawks extended their lead to 12 points 1:25 into the period, before a 15-4 run by the Hounds pulled them within one, 43-42. Saint Anselm answered with an 11-2 run to extend its lead to double digits midway through the period. Assumption never got closer than seven over the final eight minutes of action as they ultimately fell by 11 points.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 42.6 percent from the floor and 9 of 22 from downtown while the Hawks made 43.3 percent of their shots and were 59-for-27 from beyond the arc. Each team had 34 rebounds while Saint Anselm forced the Hounds into 16 turnovers.
- Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) paced the team with 19 points and five rebounds, while Sullivan posed 13 points, seven rebounds and three assists. Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) was also in double figures with ten points, and Fleming chipped in seven points, six boards and two assists.
- Tim Guers finished with 19 points, eight rebounds and four assists while Cody Ball added 15 points.
- Assumption returns to action on Tuesday when the team will host Bentley at 7:30 pm.