- Score: Bloomfield 85, Assumption 71
- Records: Bloomfield (1-0), Assumption (0-1)
- Location: Easton, Mass. (Merket Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Assumption used a 16-4 run in the second half to draw even at 46-46, but Bloomfield responded with a run of its own to put the game out of reach late and come away with an 85-71 victory in the season-opener for both teams on Friday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Bloomfield jumped out to an early 15-10 lead in the opening nine minutes. Assumption countered with an 11-5 run, capped off by a Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) triple, to take a 21-20 lead with 9:22 left in the first half.
- The Hounds extended their lead to 27-22 on back-to-back threes by Bryan Boehlert (Gaithersburg, Md. / Magruder) with six minutes remaining, forcing a Bear timeout. Bloomfield answered back with the next 16 points to grab a 38-27 lead with one minute left and held a 42-30 lead at the break.
- Assumption gave up the opening two points of the second, before Jordan Shea (Madison, Wisc. / Lodi) responded with a triple. That jumpstarted a 14-0 run by the Hounds, as Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) tied the game 44-44 on a three-pointer with 16:37 remaining.
- The Bears took back the lead and eventually extended their advantage to 59-52, before a Shea jumper trimmed it to four midway through period. However, Assumption wouldn't get any closer than seven over the final six minutes and Bloomfield pulled away for the 85-71 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 48.2 percent from the floor and was 34.4 percent from downtown, while Bloomfield shot 47.0 percent overall and made just 2 of 15 triples. The Bears attempted 15 more free throws in the contest (25-10) and outrebounded the Hounds 38-31.
- Vujadinovic paced the offense with a career-high tying 22 points, five rebounds and three assists, while Kelly added 17 points, five assists and three rebounds. Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) posted six rebounds and six assists, and Joe Sullivan (Utica, N.Y. / Notre Dame HS / Mohawk Valley CC) chipped in ten points and a team-high eight rebounds.
- Rakwan Kelly led Bloomfield with 18 points and six rebounds while Keith Washington added 19 points and three boards.
- Assumption returns to action on Saturday when the team faces Dominican at 4 pm.