- Score: Holy Cross 74, Assumption 52
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Hart Center)
- The Lead: Assumption was down by just four points late in the first half, before Holy Cross went on a run to conclude the period, and eventually extended their lead to 20 as the Crusaders finished with a 74-52 win in an exhibition on Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption's defense was solid through the opening minutes, and a free throw from Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) evened the game 4-4 at 16:13. Holy Cross used its match-up zone to go on an 18-6 run for an 22-10 lead with eight minutes left in the half.
- Joe Sullivan (Utica, N.Y. / Notre Dame HS / Mohawk Valley CC) ended the run with a nice layup off a Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) feed and the Hounds eventually closed within four (26-22) on an 8-2 run – featuring a pair of triples by Vujadinovic. Seven straight by the Crusaders pushed the lead to double digits and Assumption went into the half down 39-27.
- Holy Cross slowly extended its lead to 20 midway through the second half. Assumption and the Crusaders traded baskets over the final part of the second half as the visitors fell 74-52.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 30.5 percent from the floor and pulled down 33 rebounds while recording assists on 15 of their 18 field goals.
- Vujadinovic led the team with 12 points and four rebounds, while Sullivan added ten points and seven boards. Fleming was solid with three points, seven assists and five rebounds while Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) added five points, five rebounds and five assists with just one turnover.
- Assumption opens its 2017-18 regular season when the team travels to Stonehill on Friday, Nov. 10 to take on Bloomfield at 1:30 pm.