- Score: Franklin Pierce 70, Assumption 65
- Record: Franklin Pierce (15-12, 12-9 NE10), Assumption (7-21, 5-16 NE10),
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
The Lead: Assumption led 31-30 at the half, but Franklin Pierce opened the second half on a run and the Hounds were unable to get any closer the five points over the final ten minutes of action as they fell 70-65 on Tuesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Franklin Pierce opened up a 10-5 lead in the opening 4:30 and Assumption trailed 12-8 before going on a 10-2 run to grab an 18-14 lead on five straight points by Justin Tuckson (Stafford, Va. / Christ Chapel Academy) with 10:17 left. The Ravens responded with the next eight points for a 22-18 lead at 6:16.
- Assumption tied it at 22, but Franklin Pierce used an 8-3 run for a 30-25 advantage with just 1:22 remaining. Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) answered with a three and then Declan Soukup (Melbourne, Australia / Hallam Senior College) connected on a shot from downtown with just four seconds left to go into the break leading 31-30.
- The score was tied at 38 apiece before seven straight by the Ravens gave them a 45-38 advantage at 15:03 of the second. Assumption eventually closed the gap to 48-45 on Vujadinovic triple with 11:52 left. Franklin Pierce countered to grab a 60-53 lead with 6:18 remaining.
- Assumption was able to trim the deficit to 65-50 on a Malik Brown (Waldorf, Md. / Northpoint) jumper with 3:20 left and closed within five again on a pair of Damien Rance (Melbourne, Australia / Pope John XXIII) free throws with 1:11 left. However, the Hounds couldn't get any closer and a three at the buzzer by Soukup provided a 70-65 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption 36.9 percent overall in the contest but did make 10 of 25 three-point attempts and go 7-for-10 from the free throw line. Franklin Pierce made 44.1 percent of its shots and were 7-for-17 from beyond the arc.
- The Ravens held a 48-33 edge on the boards while committing more turnovers (14-11) and outscoring the Hounds in the paint (22-20).
- Soukup concluded his Assumption career with 16 points, five rebounds, four assists and two steals while Vujadinovic added 14 points, three rebounds, three assists and two blocks. Rance was also in double figures with 10 points, seven rebounds and two assists.
- Mike McDevitt paced Franklin Pierce with 18 points and ten rebounds while Donte Gittens added six points, nine rebounds and eight assists.
- Assumption concludes its season at 7-21 and 5-16 in the NE10.