- The Score: Franklin Pierce 84, Assumption 61
- Record: Assumption (2-5, 2-3 NE10), Franklin Pierce (4-4, 3-2 NE10)
- Location: Rindge, N.H.
The Lead: Assumption kept it close throughout the first half and took a one-point lead in the second before Franklin Pierce caught fire from downtown, eventually pulling away for the 84-61 win on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption opened the game strong, eventually grabbing a 12-6 lead at 12:00 on a dunk by Nick Pasquale (Shrewsbury, Mass. / Worcester Academy). Seven straight by the Ravens gave them back the lead, 15-12, and the two teams traded baskets as neither team was able to earn a lead greater than three until the final minutes of the half.
- Franklin Pierce eventually connected on consecutive three pointers for a 34-28 advantage. Marcus Murray (Washington, D.C. / John F. Kennedy) did make a foul shot in the final seconds of the half to trail 34-29 at the break.
- The Hounds went on a 6-0 run to start the second, grabbing a 35-34 lead on a Murray layup at 18:00. It wouldn't last, as the Ravens responded with the next 14 points to pull in front 48-35. Declan Soukup (Melbourne, Australia / Hallam Senior College) ended the drought with a triple at 12:17 to cut the deficit back to ten points.
- Franklin Pierce countered with nine consecutive points to build its lead to 19, 57-38, midway through the half. Assumption was unable to get any closer than 16 points the rest of the way as the Ravens finished with the 84-61 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 43.8 percent from the floor in the game, but went only 2 of 10 from beyond the arc and 17-for-25 from the free throw line. Franklin Pierce, meanwhile, made 54.1 percent of its shots and was an impressive 14 of 22 from downtown, including 8-for-9 in the second half.
- The Hounds were outrebounded 38-21 but committed six fewer turnovers (23-17) and had 27 points off turnovers.
- Murray had a season-high 20 points with two rebounds, two assists and two steals to lead the team. Karl Ziegler (Annandale, Va. / Annandale) was also in double figures with 11 points and three rebounds.
- Freshman Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) added five points and two rebounds off the bench while Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) contributed four points, two rebounds, two steals and two assists.
- Mike McDevitt paced Franklin Pierce with 16 points and eight rebounds and was one of seven raves with at least two threes.
- Assumption returns home to the confines of Laska Gym on Tuesday to host Saint Anselm at 7:30 pm.