Score: LIU Post 4, Assumption 1
Records: Assumption (12-9, 7-5 NE10), LIU Post (18-3, 9-3 NE10)
Location: Brookville, N.Y. (Bethpage Federal Credit Union Stadium)
The Lead: Fourth seed LIU Post scored three consecutive goals in the first half of the game, propelling them to a 4-1 victory over No. 6 seed Assumption in the NE10 Championship on Sunday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the first five minutes of the game, LIU Post took a 2-0 lead. At 33:20, Emilia Herran found Sammy Bell on a penalty corner to take the 1-0 lead and just 2:01 later, Kaycee Zelkovsky beat Hounds goaltender Sarah Bodzinski (Southwick, Mass./Southwick Tolland Regional) on the low left side on a penalty stroke to extend the lead 2-0.
- With 7:26 left LIU Post offense struck again as Julie Gyseis scored to claim the 3-0 lead heading into the second half.
- The Assumption offense opened the second half with two penalty corners in a row but the LIU Post defense helm firm. At 51:59, the Hounds ended the shutout as Isabel Primack (Ipswich, Mass./Ipswich) scored off a penalty corner, which was assisted by senior Belle Ives (Topsfield, Mass./Masconomet Regional) to cut the deficit to 3-1.
- LIU Post tallied one more goal in the final ten minutes while holding off the Hounds to clinch the program's second straight NE10 Title.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Pioneer offense outshot Assumption 9-7 overall, but both teams had six shots in the second half. The Hounds had one more penalty corner in the first half but in total LIU Post held a 8-7 edge.
- Bodzinski and Rachel Vellis each made two saves in the contest, as Bodzinski was saddled with the loss and Vellis earned the victory.
-Senior Allison Sheahan (Higganum, Conn./Haddam-Killingworth) and freshman Deirdre Burchill (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) were both named to the NE10 All-Tournament Team for their performance over the course of the NE10 Tournament. Sheahan departs as the program's all-time leading goal scorer (36) and fourth all-time in points (87).
- This senior class leaves Assumption as the winningest class since 2002 with 48 victories, while also competing in a pair of NE10 Championship games and winning the NE10 Regular Season Championship in 2015. To reach today's championship, Assumption upset No. 3 Pace in the NE10 Quarterfinals and No. 2 Stonehill in the NE10 Semifinals.
- For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.