-Score: Assumption 2, Pace 1 (OT)
-Records: Assumption (11-8, 7-5 NE10), Pace (15-4, 9-3 NE10)
-Location: Pleasantville, N.Y.
-The Lead: Senior Allison Sheahan(Higganum, Conn./Haddam-Killingworth) scored two goals and broke the Assumption field hockey career goals record propelling the No. 6 seed Assumption to a 2-1 overtime victory over No. 3 seed Pace in the NE10 Quarterfinal game on Tuesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Pace got on the board first. Lisette de Bruin took the ball out on a penalty corner and then notched a goal at 25:33 to take the 1-0 lead and score the only goal in the first half.
- Just 1:45 into the second half, Pace forward Jenna Sanossian had a scoring opportunity but sophomore midfielder Sam Tepper (Stroudsburg, Pa. / Stroudsburg) made a defensive save, and 1:04 later senior Allison Sheahan(Higganum, Conn./Haddam-Killingworth) had an open lane on the right side. She fired a shot past Pace goaltender Lesley Sanchez Alvarez it into the left corner to tie the game 1-1 and force an overtime period.
- de Bruin had a breakaway just 3:35 in overtime looking to take the win, but Hounds goaltender Sarah Bodzinski (Southwick, Mass./ Southwick Tolland Regional) dove to knock the ball out of the way. About two minutes later Setter forward Halley Rose went on a fast break and Bodzinski beat her 1-1 to keep the game going.
- With 4:52 left in overtime, freshman Isabel Primack (Ipswich, Mass./Ipswich) crossed a ball to Sheahan in the circle. Sheahan chipped the ball over Sanchez Alvarez to end the game 2-1 and knock the Setters out of the NE10 Tournament.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption outshot Pace 13-8, and tallied two more penalty corners. Sheahan registered both goals while Primack registered both assists for each of them to have a multi-point game.
- With Sheahans' second goal, she broke Assumption's career goals record (36).
- Bodzinski made six saves in the win while Sanchez Alvarez made seven.
- On Friday, the Hounds will travel to Stonehill to face the Skyhawks at 6 pm in the NE10 Semifinal game