- Score: Franklin Pierce 4, Assumption 0 (Game One); Assumption 8, Franklin Pierce 7 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (15-17-1, 9-6-1 NE10); Franklin Pierce (20-10-1, 10-4 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: Assumption's Head Baseball Coach Mike Rocco picked up his 100th victory this afternoon as the Hounds split today's two games with Franklin Pierce, dropping game one 4-0 before beating the Ravens 8-7 in game two.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Senior Kyle Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford) pitched well in game one and kept Assumption in the game as the offense struggled, recording a line of 6.0 innings, four runs on five strikeouts and two walks. Freshman Brendan Desautels (Holden, Mass. / Holy Name Central Catholic) came out of the bullpen and fired 3.0 scoreless innings to lower is ERA to 3.12 on the year.
- Franklin Pierce scored two runs in the first inning and that was all they needed, as Zach Hart pitched 8.0 shutout innings with nine strikeouts.
- Chudoba cruised through the next three innings before the Ravens doubled their lead in the fifth, making the score 4-0. The senior came on for one more scoreless inning, before Desautels came on in the seventh and put up zeros across the board for the remainder of the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS: GAME ONE
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Senior Tom Horstkotte (Milford, Mass. / St. John's) took the ball in game two and tossed four scoreless innings to start the game as the offense staked him to a 6-0 lead. The Ravens got to Horstkotte in the fifth for two runs and then scored two more in the sixth before loading the bases with no outs. The Hounds then brought in junior Mike Keinz (North Branford, Conn. / Notre Dame) to try and limit the damage but Franklin Pierce scored three more to take a 7-6 lead, closing the book on Horstkotte's day, as he finished with a stat line of 5.0 innings, seven runs and five strikeouts. Sophomore Manny PegueroMelo (Boston, Mass. / Xaverian) came on for the final two innings and allowed a pair of hits, walks and struck out two batters, but most importantly didn't allow a run as he picked up his third win of the season.
- Assumption got on the board in the first inning, as sophomore Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) doubled to right center field, scoring Brescia from second base. The Hounds added another in the second on a sacrifice fly from junior Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) that scored Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) from third base, before they exploded for four runs in the third.
- Moynihan led off the inning with a single to center field and advanced to second on a wild pitch. Brescia then singled down the left field line to score Moynihan, before Jaehnig and Adamson singled to load the bases with no outs. With the bases juiced, Tralli recorded a one out RBI single, before Quinlivan connected on a huge two-RBI single to open up a 6-0 lead.
- Franklin Pierce got two runs back in the fifth and rallied for five more in the sixth to erase the six run deficit in just two innings, taking a 7-6 lead.
- The Hounds didn't fold tying the game in the seventh on a RBI single by Quinlivan, before scoring the eventual game winning run in the eighth, when a dropped foul ball that would have been the third out from Ravens first baseman Mike Coggeshall extended the inning. Adamson took advantage of the extra at bat and smoked a RBI single up the middle to give the Hounds the lead for good.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS: GAME TWO
- Six Hounds recorded multi-hit games, led by Adamson who finished 4-for-5 with a double, two RBI and two runs.
- Tralli finished 3-for-4 with a run and RBI, while Quinlivan went 2-for-3 with four RBI.
- Moynihan, Brescia and Jaehnig all finished the game with two hits.