- Score: Assumption 7, Saint Rose 6 (Game One); Assumption 3, Saint Rose 2(Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (13-15-1, 7-4-1 NE10); Saint Rose (9-14, 2-6 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: The Assumption baseball team swept Saint Rose in a cross-divisional NE10 matchup today, as the Hounds finished the weekend with a 2-1-1 record.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Senior Tom Horstkotte (Milford, Mass. / St. John's) started game one on the mound for Assumption and pitched 5.1 innings, allowing six runs (four earned) on five walks and four strikeouts. Sophomore Manny PegueroMelo (Boston, Mass. / Xaverian) earned the win when he came on in relief and tossed 3.2 scoreless innings, punching out a pair of batters.
- Assumption jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the third inning. Freshman Dillon Zona (Shrewsbury, Mass. / Shrewsbury) led off with a single through the left side of the infield, before sophomore Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) followed that up with a single. With two outs, senior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College singled to score Brescia and classmate Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) launched a double, scoring senior Quinn Moynihan (Worcester, Mass. / Lipscomb University) and Jaehnig.
- Saint Rose cut the lead in half in the top of the fifth, before taking the lead in the sixth when they scored four runs to make the score 6-4. Byrne was hit by a pitch and came around to score in the bottom half of the sixth to bring the Hounds within one (6-5).
- The Hounds regained the lead for good in the seventh, as freshman James McNamara (Westford, Mass. / Westford Academy), Moynihan and Jaehnig all reached base with no outs. Byrne then recorded a sacrifice fly, and junior Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) walked to force in a run, giving the Hounds a 7-6 lead. PegueroMelo closed the door from there, picking up his second win of the season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS: GAME ONE
- Moynihan finished 2-for-3 with a walk and a run, while Jaehnig went 2-for-5 with two runs and a RBI.
- Byrne drove in three runs, going 1-for-2 with a run, while McNamara tallied a run and RBI.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Freshman Cole Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford) took the ball in game two and was fantastic, tossing 7.1 innings and only allowing two unearned runs. Junior Mike Keinz (North Branford, Conn. / Notre Dame) came on and picked up the save, throwing 1.2 scoreless innings and striking out three hitters.
- Assumption staked Chudoba to a three run lead in the first inning, when sophomore Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) doubled to left center and Jaehnig singled though the left side of the infield. Moynihan walked to load the bases and Byrne followed that up with a bases clearing double giving the Hounds a 3-0 lead.
- The pitchers exchanged zeros for six straight innings, before Saint Rose plated two in the eighth to pull within one, but Keinz settled down and got through the frame to give the Hounds the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS: GAME TWO
- McQuade, Adamson, Quinlivan and Jaehnig all tallied two hits, while Byrne drove in three more runs.
- Byrne recorded six RBI on the two game series.
- Chudoba earned the win in his first home start.