- Score: Assumption 9, Saint Anselm 7
- Records: Assumption (9-14, 3-3 NE10); Saint Anselm (7-10, 1-3 NE10)
- Location: Manchester, N.H. (Sullivan Park)
- The Lead: Saint Anselm erased a three run deficit in the ninth to force extras, before Assumption scored three in the 12th to improve to 2-0 in NE10 Divisional play.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Kyle Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford) started the game on the mound for Assumption and pitched 6.0 innings of two run ball, allowing six hits to go with two strikeouts. Freshman James McNamara (Westford, Mass. / Westford Academy) took over in the seventh inning and allowed a run, before junior Colton King (Westerly, R.I. / Moses Brown Prep) pitched a scoreless eighth. Freshman Brendan Desautels (Holden, Mass. / Holy Name Central Catholic) blew the save in the ninth, allowing three runs, but sophomore Manny PegueroMelo (Boston, Mass. / Xaverian) picked it up in extras, earning his first collegiate win.
- Junior Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) connected on a two-run homerun in the top of the second, plating classmate Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) to score the first two runs of the game. Saint Anselm responded with a run of its own in the bottom half of the inning to cut the lead in half.
- The Hounds took a 3-1 lead in the fifth when junior Dominic Alfano (Farmington, Conn. / Farmington) and senior Quinn Moynihan (Worcester, Mass. / Lipscomb University) hit back-to-back singles, which was followed by a RBI single from senior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College).
- Saint Anselm got a run back in the bottom of the sixth, before tying the game in the seventh. After a scoreless eighth, the Hounds once again put up a big ninth inning. Freshman Dillon Koster (Woburn, Mass. / Woburn / Marist College) reached on a fielder's choice and was followed by a walk from Moynihan. Jaehnig then stepped to the plate and hit a three-run homerun, his second consecutive game with a dinger, to give the Hounds a 6-3 lead.
- The Hawks wouldn't go away, as they rallied for three runs of their own in the bottom of the ninth to force extra innings. The Hounds went ahead for good in the 12th, when junior Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) connected on a one out double to center field. Freshman Dillon Zona (Westford, Mass. / Westford Academy) knocked him in, before Moynihan hit a two-RBI double to right center field, giving the Hounds a big divisional win as they now improve to 2-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Moynihan, Tralli and Jaehnig were the driving force for the Hounds offensively, as the trio combined to go 7-for-16 with two homeruns, a double, eight RBI and three runs.
- Zona recorded the go ahead RBI in the 12th, pinch hitting and finishing 1-for-1 with a run and RBI. McQuade also finished 1-for-1 with a run to go with two walks.
- King improved his scoreless streak to four games out of the bullpen, while PegueroMelo picked up his first collegiate win.