- Score: Assumption 13, Queens 2
- Records: Assumption (5-10, 0-0 NE10); Queens (5-7, 0-0 ECC)
- Location: Queens, N.Y. (Queens College)
- The Lead: Assumption exploded for 17 hits and 13 runs as the Hounds cruised to a 13-2 win over Queens College.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Tom Horstkotte (Milford, Mass. / St. John's) continued his excellent start to the season, lowering his ERA to 1.43 while picking up his third win of the season. Horstkotte twirled 7.0 innings of one run ball, punching out five batters along the way. Senior Danny Hoffer (Yonkers, N.Y. / Stepinac / University of Maine) came on in relief and tossed the final 2.0 innings, striking out a pair of hitters while allowing one run on two hits.
- Assumption's bats came alive today, as the Hounds scored a run in every inning but two. They pieced together a run in both the first and third inning, before blowing the game open in the middle innings. Senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) got the ball rolling when he led the fourth off with a single to left field. Sophomore Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) then doubled to center field to record an RBI, before senior Quinn Moynihan (Worcester, Mass. / Lipscomb University) doubled down the right field line to score Brescia. Freshman James McNamara (Westford, Mass. / Westford Academy) kept the rally going when he extended the Hounds lead to 5-0, singling to left field to score Moynihan from second.
- In the fifth inning, the Hounds pieced together five hits including a two RBI double by Byrne and a RBI double by junior Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic). Assumption pushed four more runs across the plate in the inning, extending its lead to 9-0.
- After junior Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) knocked in sophomore Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) in the sixth, Freshman James McNamara (Westford, Mass. / Westford Academy) and sophomore Joe Michael (Johnston, R.I. / Johnston Senior / CCRI) each recorded an RBI to give Assumption a 12-1 lead.
- The Hounds scored their 13th and final run in the eighth inning, as junior Philip Gaines (Cambridge, Mass. / Cambridge R&L) led off with a walk and eventually came around to score when classmate Dominic Alfano (Farmington, Conn. / Farmington) doubled to center field.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- McNamara registered his best day at the plate while in an Assumption uniform, finishing 4-for-5 with a stolen base, two RBI and two runs.
- Moynihan had an outstanding day at the plate, going 3-for-5 with two doubles, two RBI and two runs. McQuade and Byrne each recorded multi-hit efforts, going a combined 4-for-7 with three RBI, while Brescia went 2-for-3 with two runs and a RBI.