- Score: Queens 5, Assumption 3 (Game one); Queens 11, Assumption 7 (Game two)
- Records: Assumption (4-10, 0-0 NE10); Queens (5-6, 0-0 ECC)
- Location: Queens, N.Y. (Queens College)
- The Lead: Assumption dropped a pair of games today as the Hounds traveled to Queens, where the Knights piled up 16 runs in the two games. Senior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) had an outstanding series as the senior went a combined 5-for-8 with two home runs, four RBI and two runs.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Senior Mike Curtis (Wilmington, Mass. / Wilmington) took the ball in game one for the Hounds and lasted 6.0 innings, surrendering four runs on eight hits, three walks and two strikeouts. Freshman James McNamara (Westford, Mass. / Westford Academy) pitched the last two innings, walking three batters while allowing just one run on a hit and a strikeout.
- Jaehnig gave the Hounds a 1-0 lead in the first inning when he launched his first home run of the season, a solo shot, over the outfield fence.
- Queens responded in the bottom half of the second inning, tying the game at one run apiece. The Knights plated four more unanswered runs to take a 5-1 lead heading into the top of the eighth inning. The Hounds scored once in the eight and again in the ninth, but it wasn't enough as Queens took game one, 5-3.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Junior Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) went a perfect 3-for-3 with a walk, upping his average to .357 on the year (second on the team). He also increased his OBP to .526 which leads the team.
- Jaehnig finished 2-for-4 with his first home run of the season, while senior Quinn Moynihan (Worcester, Mass. / Lipscomb University) went 2-for-5 with a double, stolen base and run scored.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Senior Kyle Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford) pitched 4.1 innings allowing eight runs (seven earned), striking out two batters while surrendering eight hits.
- Assumption came out scorching to open game two, as Moynihan and sophomore Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) each singled, before Jaehnig sent his second home run of the series out of the park to give the Hounds a 3-0 lead.
- After Queens regained the lead in the bottom of the third inning (4-3), freshman Dillon Koster (Woburn, Mass. / Woburn / Marist College) led off the fourth with a single. Senior Alex Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass. / Bishop Feehan) then walked and sophomore Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) laid down a sacrifice bunt and reached on a fielder's choice. Moynihan then dropped down a bunt for a base hit, loading the bases with just one out. Adamson followed that up with a huge bases clearing double to centerfield, giving the Hounds a 6-4 lead.
- Queens got a run back in the bottom of the fourth, before Assumption responded with one in the fifth when junior Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) led the inning off with a solo home run, his first of the season.
- The wheels fell off for the Hounds in the bottom of the fifth, as Queens's compiled six hits including two extra base hits to score five runs and give the Knights a 10-7 lead. They scored once more in the sixth to finish the scoring at 11-7.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The top of the lineup consisting of Moynihan, Adamson and Jaehnig finished the game going a combined 8-for-14 to lead the Hounds.
- Koster went 2-for-3 with a walk, while Tralli recorded his first home run of the season going 1-for-4.