- Score: Assumption 4, Concordia 0
- Records: Assumption (4-7, 0-0 NE10); Concordia (5-5, 0-0 CACC)
- Location: Winter Park, Fla. (Rollins College)
- The Lead: Assumption won the rubber match against Concordia today after splitting a pair of decisions earlier in their trip to Florida, shutting out the Clippers 4-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Tom Horstkotte (Milford, Mass. / St. John's) was superb on the mound today for Assumption, twirling 6.0 shutout innings to earn his second victory of the season. Horstkotte surrendered four hits and four walks, but punched out seven batters. Sophomore Manny PegueroMelo (Boston, Mass. / Xaverian) and freshman Brendan Desautels (Holden, Mass. / Holy Name Central Catholic) combined to pitch the final three scoreless innings, striking out five batters while only allowing two hits.
- After going three and out the first two innings, the Hounds broke through in the third. Freshman Andrew Moccia (Lynn, Mass. / Lynn Classical) and Desautels recorded back-to-back singles, before senior Quinn Moynihan (Worcester, Mass. / Lipscomb University) reached base on a fielder's choice, sending Moccia to third base. Moynihan then stole second to put runners on second and third, before freshman Dillon Koster (Woburn, Mass. / Woburn / Marist College) was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) was then also hit by a pitch to force home a run and give Assumption a 1-0 lead.
- Wild pitching from Concordia caused another Assumption run in the fourth inning, as the first three batters from Assumption walked to load the bases. The Clippers were able to turn a double play as they tried to end the inning unscathed, but another walk to reload the bases and a single by Moynihan doubled the Hound lead to 2-0.
- In the eighth, freshman Dillon Zona (Shrewsbury, Mass. / Shrewsbury) led off the inning with a single, before Moynihan connected on a two-out triple down the right field line to make the score 3-0. Moynihan then scored on a wild pitch to cap the scoring at 4-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Moynihan extended his hitting streak to eight games after finishing 2-for-5 with a stolen base, two RBI and a run scored.
- Zona made his collegiate debut and went 2-for-3 with a walk and a run scored, while Moccia went 1-for-3 with a run.
- Desautels has now appeared in three games out of the bullpen and pitched two innings each time, recording one save. The freshman has yet to surrender a run while striking out eight batters to just one walk.