- Score: Assumption 7, Concordia 1
- Records: Assumption (3-5, 0-0 NE10); Concordia (3-3, 0-0 CACC)
- Location: Winter Park, Fla.
- The Lead: The Assumption College baseball team split its two game series with Concordia, cruising to a 7-1 victory this afternoon behind freshman Cole Chudoba's (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford) first collegiate victory on the mound and junior Trevor McQuade's (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) perfect day at the plate.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Chudoba lowered his ERA on the young season to 3.00 after stymieing Concordia's lineup for the majority of the game. The freshman surrendered just one run on four hits and a walk in 7.0 innings of work. Senior Colton King (Westerly, R.I. / Moses Brown Prep) and junior Mike Keinz (North Branford, Conn. / Notre Dame) combined to pitch the last two innings, striking out four batters while allowing just one hit.
- Assumption plated one run in both the second and third inning to open up a 2-0 lead. McQuade got the ball rolling when he led off the second with a double to center field, he was then sent home after the shortstop air mailed a throw to third base into the stands. In the third, sophomore Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) reached first on an error by the shortstop which was followed by senior Quinn Moynihan (Worcester, Mass. / Lipscomb University) walking. After senior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) flew out to left field, Moynihan and Brescia both advanced on a wild pitch, leading to junior Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) hitting a sacrifice fly.
- The Hounds gave themselves some breathing room in the top of the fifth inning, when Jaehnig connected on a one out single to left center and was subsequently followed by a single by Quinlivan. Sophomore Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) hit a laser into the left center field gap that scored Jaehnig from second and then McQuade singled down the right field line to plate two more runs, giving the Hounds a 5-0 lead.
- After Concordia put a run up on the board in the seventh, Assumption responded with two more of its own in the ninth. With the top of the order up for the Hounds, Moynihan doubled to right center and Jaehnig was hit by a pitch putting two runners aboard with no outs. Quinlivan moved them both over with a groundout, and after Adamson recorded an out, McQuade was intentionally walked to load the bases. Senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) then walked to bring home a run and a wild pitch sent Jaehnig home to make the score 7-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- McQuade led the Hounds offensively, reaching base all five times he appeared at the plate. He finished the day going 3-for-3 with two walks, two RBI and a run.
- Adamson went 1-for-5 with a double, RBI and a run, while Quinlivan went 1-for-3 with a RBI and a run.
- Jaehnig scored two runs on a hit and a hit-by-pitch.