- Score: Assumption 14, Bentley 2
- Records: Assumption (17-25, 10-17 NE10); Bentley (11-29, 9-16 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: Senior Danny Hoffer (Yonkers, N.Y. / Stepinac / University of Maine) earned his first collegiate win on the mound and classmates Tom Brengel (Hicksville, N.Y. / Holy Trinity) and Kevin O'Connor (Leominster, Mass. / Leominster) each recorded their first hits at the plate as Assumption took down Bentley 14-2 on senior day.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Hoffer earned the start on senior day and was fantastic, tossing 6.0 innings and allowing two runs, while only allowing four hits on the day to improve to 1-0 on the season.
- Assumption continued its torrid hitting at the plate, as the Hounds scored the first run in the bottom of the first inning when sophomore Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) walked and junior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) tripled to centerfield to give the Hounds a 1-0 lead.
- After Hoffer tossed a 1-2-3 second inning, the Hounds erupted for nine runs to open up a 10-0 lead. Sophomore Alex Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass. / Bishop Feehan) registered two RBI, freshman R.J. Libby (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) tallied a pair of doubles and two RBI, while O'Connor singled up the middle to score Jaehnig and give the senior his first RBI of his career.
- In the bottom of the fourth Assumption added to its lead as freshman Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) was hit by a pitch to open the inning and Libby singled through the right side of the infield. Junior Mike Schmidt (Jackson, N.J. / Jackson Memorial) then singled to load the bases, before Richardson hit a sacrifice fly to right field to make the score 11-0.
- O'Connor recorded another RBI in the fifth when he reached on a fielder's choice to score Jaehnig from third base.
- Bentley finally got to Hoffer in the sixth as the Falcons pieced together four base runners to score a pair of runs and make the score 12-2.
- Assumption received two more runs from senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) and Brengel to put the finishing touches on the 14-2 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Byrne led the Hounds at the plate, finishing 4-for-6 with a pair of RBI and runs. Libby finished 3-for-4 with two doubles, two RBI and two runs scored.
- O'Connor went 3-for-6 in his first start in left field of his career, driving in a two runs while also scoring a run.
- Schmidt added three hits, two RBI and a run, as the Hounds collected 22 hits on the day.