- Score: Assumption 11, Bentley 10 (14 innings)
- Records: Assumption (16-25, 9-17 NE10); Bentley (11-28, 9-15 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: The Assumption College baseball team defeated Bentley 11-10 today in 14 innings at Rocheleau Field. The Hounds led 9-4 at one point before falling behind 10-9 in the tenth inning and rallying to win.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Mike Curtis (Wilmington, Mass. / Wilmington) took the mound for the Hounds today and tossed 7.0 innings, surrendering four runs to go with three strikeouts.
- Assumption struck first in the bottom of the first inning when sophomore Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) connected on a one out double to the left centerfield wall. Junior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) then singled down the leftfield line, scoring Tralli from second base and giving the Hounds a 1-0 lead.
- In the second inning, the Hounds added to their lead as freshman R.J. Libby (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) singled to left center and junior Mike Schmidt (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) followed with a single, before sophomore Alex Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass. / Bishop Feehan) joined the party with a single to centerfield, scoring Libby.
- Bentley took the lead in the fourth, when the Falcons went on a two-out rally, stringing together three hits including two extra base hits to take a 3-2 lead.
- The Hounds retook the lead in the fifth when freshman Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) led off with a single to right center, before senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) walked and sophomore Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) roped a two run double to leftfield, giving the Hounds a 4-3 lead.
- The Falcons tied the game in the top half of the sixth, before the Hounds once again pulled in front once again in the bottom half. Schmidt led off with a walk and Richardson reached base on a bunt to the third baseman, giving Assumption two runners on with no outs. Brescia then dropped down a sacrifice bunt to move both runners over and Tralli hit a sacrifice fly to centerfield to give him his 14th RBI on the season.
- In the bottom of the seventh, the Hounds exploded for four runs to open the game up. Libby started the two out rally with a double to leftfield, before advancing to third on a wild pitch. Schmidt then walked and both runners advanced on a wild pitch to make the score 6-4. Richardson hit an RBI single to left center and Brescia singled through the right side, before Tralli singled to left center to score Richardson. Jaehnig then hit his 16th double of the year down the rightfield line to push the lead to 9-4.
- Bentley didn't stay down long, as they scored two runs in the top of the eighth to make the score 9-6, before scoring three runs in the ninth to tie the game up at nine and force extra innings.
- In the tenth inning, both teams exchanged runs, as Jaehnig and Byrne were hit by pitches to start the inning. Freshman Ben Curry (Derry, N.H. / Pinkerton Academy) and sophomore Philip Gaines (Cambridge, Mass. / Cambridge R&L) came on to pinch run for the duo and were moved over a bag when McQuade laid down a sacrifice bunt. Freshman Matt Schneider (Dalton, Mass. / Wahconah Regional) then hit an RBI groundout to tie the game at ten runs and force an 11th inning.
- Assumption walked off in the 14th inning when Tralli and sophomore Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) walked and freshman Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) was hit by a pitch to load the bases with one out. McQuade then singled to drive in Tralli and give the Hounds an 11-10 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Seven Hounds recorded multi-hit games, led by Richardson who finished 3-for-6 with a walk, two RBI and a run scored. Libby also went 3-for-6 with a walk, while also scoring a pair of runs.
- Schmidt finished 2-for-5 with two walks and two runs scored, while McQuade drove in three runs and collected two hits.
- Tralli went 2-for-6 with two RBI and two runs, while Jaehnig finished 2-for-4 with two RBI.
- The Hounds return to action Sunday when they take on Bentley for a single game at Rocheleau Field for senior day starting at 1:00 p.m.