- Score: Stonehill 2, Assumption 1
- Records: Assumption (15-20, 8-12 NE10); Stonehill (13-24, 7-11 NE10)
- Location: Easton, Mass. (Lou Gorman Field)
- The Lead: Junior Kyle Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford) and Stonehill's Patrick Hurley were locked in a pitcher's duel for the majority of the game as the teams went to extra innings tied at 1-1. The Skyhawks eventually scored in the bottom of the tenth inning to win as the Hounds couldn't capitalize on a bases loaded opportunity in the top of the ninth inning.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Chudoba started on the mound for the Hounds today and pitched 8.0 innings, allowing just one run while striking out three batters.
- Stonehill scored the game's first run in the bottom of the first inning as Ben Monte and Eddie Bowler connected consecutive one-out singles and were moved over a base on an errant throw. Harry Sabo then recorded an RBI groundout to put the Skyhawks ahead 1-0.
- Assumption waited until the top of the sixth to respond, as sophomore Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) manufactured a run almost all on his own. He walked to lead off the inning and advanced to second on a wild pitch. Senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) then grounded out to second base, allowing Tralli to go to third base. Tralli would eventually come around to score on another wild pitch to tie the game at one run apiece.
- In the top of the ninth, junior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) led off the inning with a single up the middle and was replaced at first when Byrne grounded into a fielder's choice. Sophomore Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) followed up with a base knock before freshman Matt Schneider (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) singled to right center to load the bases with just one out. Pat Shore was able to come on for Stonehill and work his way out of the jam to send the game to extra innings.
- Stonehill scored the game's winning run in the bottom of the tenth when Joe Klingensmith led off the inning with a double and Steve Lee roped a two out double to bring Klingensmith home and give the Skyhawks the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Jaehnig led the Hounds at the plate as he was the only Hound to register a multi-hit game, finishing 2-for-4. McQuade and Schneider both recorded a hit, while Tralli scored the lone Hound run.
- The Hounds return to action tomorrow, as they travel to Merrimack to take on the Warriors for a key divisional game starting at 3:30 p.m.