- Score: Assumption 6, Saint Anselm 4
- Records: Assumption (15-19, 8-11 NE10); Saint Anselm (10-25, 5-15 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: Junior Tom Horstkotte (Milford, Mass. / St. John's) fanned a career high 15 batters and pitched 8.0 innings of one run ball as the Assumption College baseball team completed the weekend sweep of Saint Anselm today at Rocheleau Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Horstkotte was fantastic on the mound for the Hounds as he continued the trend of strong starting pitching over the weekend. The junior produced a stat line of 8.0 innings, four hits, one earned run, two walks and 15 strikeouts.
- Saint Anselm struck first in the top of the first as the Hawks pieced together a run with two outs and nobody on base. Nick Bragole hit a double and was brought home on a single by Jon Marculitis.
- Assumption tied the game in the bottom half of the first, when junior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) connected on a two out double to left field, before senior Jake Byrne (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) singled to left center field to tie the game up at one run apiece.
- In the bottom of the fourth, Jaehnig and Byrne led off with consecutive singles and freshman R.J. Libby (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) doubled to deep right center to give the Hounds a 2-1 lead. Junior Mike Schmidt (Jackson, N.J. / Jackson Memorial) then walked on a wild pitch that allowed Byrne to score from third.
- Sophomore Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) recorded a two out single to left field in the fifth and was followed up by a double by Jaehnig to make the score 4-1 in favor of the Hounds. In the sixth, sophomore Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) singled through the left side of the infield and was moved over to second on a groundout by classmate Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's). Schmidt then singled and advanced to second on an errant throw by the pitcher which allowed McQuade to score.
- After Jaehnig singled home Tralli to give him his second RBI of the game and put the Hounds up 6-1, Saint Anselm rallied. The Hawk's bats caught fire in the ninth as they produced five hits in the inning. After scoring three runs and making the score 6-4, Matt Flynn stole second base to put two runners in scoring position with the tying run at the plate. Freshman Manny PegueroMelo (Boston, Mass. / Xaverian) was able to buckle down and coax a flyout from the final hitter to give the Hounds a much need 6-4 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Jaehnig led all hitters on the day with a 4-for-4 effort with a pair of doubles, RBI's and runs.
- Byrne finished 2-for-4 with a run and an RBI, while Tralli went 1-for-3 with a walk and two runs scored.
- The Hounds return to action on Tuesday, April 25th as they travel to Merrimack to take on the Warriors for a key divisional game starting at 3:30 p.m.