- Score: Assumption 6, Saint Anselm 0 (Game One); Assumption 5, Saint Anselm 1 (GameTwo)
- Records: Assumption (14-19, 7-11 NE10); Saint Anselm (10-24, 5-14 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: The Assumption baseball team used a pair of strong pitching performances and outhit Saint Anselm 17-3 over the course of the doubleheader to earn the divisional sweep today.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Kevin O'Connor (Leominster, Mass. / Leominster) took the mound in game one and was dominant, throwing a one-hit complete game shutout to go with eight strikeouts. O'Connor gave up the lone hit of the game in the first inning when Max Wadington hit a bloop single that landed in-between first and second base, beating out the throw.
- In the bottom of the first inning, freshman Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) singled to lead off, followed by an RBI double by sophomore Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic). After junior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) moved Tralli over to third, senior Jake Byrne (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) singled to leftfield to bring him home and make the score 2-0.
- Byrne recorded his second RBI of the game in the fifth inning as he drove home Brescia with a single through the right side of the infield. In the sixth inning, junior Mike Schmidt (Jackson, N.J. / Jackson Memorial) and sophomore Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) drew back-to-back walks and Brescia followed that up with a double to leftfield scoring Schmidt. Jaehnig then smacked a double down the leftfield line to score two more runs as the Hounds built their lead to 6-0.
- O'Connor came back out for the ninth inning and coaxed a groundout and fly-out before striking out the final batter of the game to finish his complete game shutout.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Brescia recorded a three hit afternoon, going 3-for-5 with three runs and an RBI.
- Jaehnig finished 2-for-5 with a double and two RBI, while Byrne went 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI.
- Schmidt tallied a multi-hit game, going 2-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Junior Mike Curtis (Wilmington, Mass. / Wilmington) started the nightcap of the doubleheader on the mound for the Hounds and was spectacular, twirling 8.0 innings of two hit ball while striking out 12 batters. The junior cruised through the opening 6.0 innings where he recorded all 12 strikeouts.
- Saint Anselm scored in the top of the first inning to take its first and only lead of the afternoon, after an errant throw on a stolen base allowed the runner from third to score.
- Assumption stormed back in the second inning to score four runs, stringing together four hits, a walk and a hit-by-pitch. Freshman Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) roped a one out double to left field, followed by a walk by Quinlivan and a double by Schmidt. Sophomore Alex Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass. / Bishop Feehan) then reached on an error by the shortstop and Brescia and Tralli hit consecutive singles to make the score 4-1.
- The Hounds tacked on another run in the sixth as Schmidt led off with a double and was moved to third on a groundout by Richardson. Brescia then lined out to centerfield, allowing Schmidt to waltz home to make the score 5-1 where the lead would stand.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Schmidt led the Hounds in game two at the plate, as the junior finished 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles, two runs and an RBI.
- Brescia went 1-for-3 with two RBI, while Jaehnig and Richardson each registered an RBI.
- The Hounds return to action tomorrow when they close out the weekend series with Saint Anselm for a single game starting at 12:00 p.m.