- Score: Saint Michael's 7, Assumption 2
- Records: Assumption (10-18, 3-10 NE10); Saint Michael's (1-12, 1-12 NE10)
- Location: Colchester, Vt. (Doc Jacobs Field)
- The Lead: With the score tied 2-2 heading into the bottom of the seventh, Saint Michael's tagged Assumption for five runs to win their first NE10 contest of the season at Doc Jacobs Field in Colchester, Vermont.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Mike Curtis (Wilmington, Mass. / Wilmington) took the mound in game one of the three game series and pitched to a stat line of 7.1 innings, six runs (five earned) on two walks and eight strikeouts.
- Saint Michael's opened the first inning with a pair of runs as Connor Hopkins doubled to left center to lead off the inning and Joe Robertson was hit by a pitch. After Drew Salk dropped down a sacrifice bunt to move the runners up a base, Sean Winthrop delivered a two out, 2-run single to right center to give the Purple Knights a 2-0 lead.
- Assumption responded with a pair of its own in the top of the second, as senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) connected on a leadoff single, followed by a single by sophomore Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian). Freshman Matt Schneider (Dalton, Mass. / Wahconah Regional) then loaded the bases with no outs after he was hit by a pitch. Classmate R.J. Libby (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) hit a sacrifice fly to score Byrne and sophomore Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) singled up the middle to tie up the game when McQuade came around to score.
- Neither team could muster much offense until the bottom of the seventh when Saint Michael's led off the inning with a tie-breaking solo homerun. The Purple Knights would add one more run in the seventh before plating three more in the bottom of the eighth with the back breaker being a two run homerun by Trevor Allen.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Byrne registered the only multi-hit game of the afternoon for the Hounds, as the senior finished 2-for-4 with a walk and a run scored. Junior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) connected on the lone extra-base hit when he doubled down the left field line in the third inning.
- Libby and Quinlivan each recorded an RBI, while freshman Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) drew two walks at the top of the lineup.
- The Hounds return to action tomorrow for a doubleheader in Colchester, Vermont against Saint Michael's starting at 10:00 a.m.