- Score: Stonehill 8, Assumption 5
- Records: Assumption (10-17, 3-9 NE10); Stonehill (8-19, 3-7 NE10)
- Location: Easton, Mass. (Lou Gorman Field)
- The Lead: The Assumption College baseball team collected three extra base hits including freshman R.J. Libby's (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) first career home run, but were unable to hold on as Stonehill rallied for four runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to earn the win at Lou Gorman Field today.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Kevin O'Connor (Leominster, Mass. / Leominster) opened the game with three scoreless innings on the mound as Assumption took a 1-0 lead in the top of the fourth inning. Junior Mike Schmidt (Jackson, N.J. / Jackson Memorial) reached first on an error by the Stonehill centerfielder, allowing Libby to score all the way from first base.
- After Stonehill scored in the bottom half of the fourth to tie the game, Assumption knocked in two more to retake the lead in the top of the fifth. Freshman Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) led off the inning with a walk and was brought home on a triple by junior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College). Senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) then singled up the middle to score Jaehnig, giving the Hounds a 3-1 lead.
- Assumption added on to its lead in the sixth, as Libby led off the inning with a solo shot over the right field fence. After sophomore Philip Gaines (Cambridge, Mass. / Cambridge R&L) reached on an error and Brescia singled to center field, classmate Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) doubled down the right field line to make the score 5-1 in favor of the Hounds.
- Stonehill rallied to score four runs in the bottom of the sixth inning, as the Skyhawks used a hit batsman, two extra base hits and a single to do their damage. Trailing just 5-4 now, Stonehill plated four more runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to complete their comeback and take an 8-5 lead which would stand, giving the Skyhawks the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- O'Connor started the game for the Hounds and posted a stat line of 6.0 innings pitched, six hits, four runs (three earned), four walks and four strikeouts.
- Jaehnig finished 2-for-5 with a triple, an RBI and a runs scored, while Byrne also finished 2-for-5 with an RBI.
- Brescia went 2-for-4 with a walk and a run scored, while Libby went 1-for-4 with a home run, and two runs scored.
- The Hounds return to action tomorrow, when they travel to Vermont to take on Saint Michael's for a three game series.