- Score: Assumption 11, Stonehill 7
- Records: Assumption (10-16, 3-8 NE10); Stonehill (7-19, 2-7 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: Assumption exploded for 11 runs in the opening three innings and held on to earn their first divisional win against Stonehill heading into a big week of action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Stonehill came out hot in the top of the first inning, loading the bases with one out while pushing home the game's first run before junior Kyle Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford) worked out of the jam to limit the damage.
- Assumption then exploded, scoring three runs in the first, five in the second and three more in the third. Sophomore Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) opened the floodgates with a two-run home run in the bottom of the first, before freshman Matt Schneider (Dalton, Mass. / Wahconah Regional) tripled in sophomore Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) from first to extend the lead to 3-1.
- Junior Mike Schmidt (Jackson, N.J. / Jackson Memorial) led off the second inning by getting hit by a pitch, followed by a single by sophomore Philip Gaines (Cambridge, Mass. / Cambridge R&L) making his first collegiate start. Freshman Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) then singled through the right side of the infield to score Schmidt and Tralli roped a single to left field, plating Gaines. Junior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) kept the train moving with his two RBI double off the right field wall and senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) put the Hounds up 8-1 with his RBI groundout.
- In the third, Byrne drew a one out bases loaded walk, McQuade followed up with a single through the right side of the infield and Schneider then singled to open up the lead to 11-1.
- Stonehill tried to mount a comeback, as the Skyhawks scored four runs in the fifth and two more in the ninth, before freshman Kyle Autilio (Saugus, Mass. / Saugus) shut the door, coaxing Stonehill's Alex Hurley into a doubleplay.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Chudoba earned the win after pitching 5.0 innings, allowing five runs on seven hits while striking out four batters. Autilio came on in relief and tossed the remaining 4.0 innings, surrendering two runs while recording three punch outs.
- Tralli led the Hounds at the plate, finishing 3-for-5 with a homerun, three RBI and three runs scored. McQuade and Schneider hitting out of the fifth and sixth spot, finished a combined 6-for-8 with two walks, three RBI and a run scored.
- Leading off, freshman Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) went 2-for-4 with three runs scored, an RBI and a walk, while Jaehnig finished 2-for-5 with a double, two RBI and two runs scored.
- Making his first collegiate start in right field, Gaines went 2-for-5 with a run scored.
- The Hounds return to action on April 13, when they travel down to Stonehill to face the Skyhawks at 1:00 p.m.