- Score: Adelphi 6, Assumption 2 (Game One); Adelphi 15, Assumption 1 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (9-16, 2-8 NE10); Adelphi (16-12, 6-5 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: Assumption held a two-run lead late in game one of today's doubleheader before Adelphi rallied to claim the opener. The Panthers then exploded for 15 runs in game two to sweep the interdivisional series.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Junior Tom Horstkotte (Milford, Mass. / St. John's) took the mound in game one for Assumption and cruised through six innings without surrendering a run. The junior ran into trouble in the seventh when Adelphi tied up the game at two runs apiece before he was pulled with runners on base. Horstkotte's final line stood at 6.2 innings pitched, four runs on eight hits to go with three walks.
- With both starting pitchers exchanging zeros on the scoreboard, the Hounds struck first. Junior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) led off the bottom of the sixth with a single to left field, before senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) roped a single to center field. Sophomore Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) then recorded his fifth RBI of the season when he tallied the Hounds third consecutive hit of the inning. Byrne advanced to third on a double play groundout and came around to score when the catcher tried to pick him off, but the throw ricocheted off Byrne's back and into the outfield.
- With Assumption up 2-0 in the top of the seventh inning, Adelphi scored twice to chase Horstkotte out of the game and plated two more runs when freshman Manny PegueroMelo (Boston, Mass. / Xaverian) came on in relief.
- The Panthers tacked on two more insurance runs in the top of the ninth to give themselves a 6-2 lead, which they closed out when David Butler came on to record the final three outs of the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Jaehnig went a perfect 3-for-3 to continue his hot streak at the plate, while Byrne finished 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- Junior Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) registered a pair of hits, going 2-for-4 to raise his batting average to .247 on the season. Tralli recorded the only RBI of the game for the Hounds, finishing 1-for-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Adelphi crossed the plate early and often in game two, scoring a combined eight runs in the sixth and seventh innings. Freshman R.J. Libby (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) made his collegiate debut on the mound for Assumption in the middle of the seventh inning and was effective, throwing 2.0 scoreless innings with three strikeouts.
- Assumption's lone run came in the bottom of the fifth inning when McQuade launched his third homerun of the season, a solo shot over the right field wall.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- McQuade led the Hounds at the plate, going 2-for-2 to finish 4-for-6 over the doubleheader.
- Sophomore Philip Gaines (Cambridge, Mass. / Cambridge) recorded his first collegiate hit after tallying a single to right center field. Gaines also reached base in the seventh when he was hit by a pitch.
- The Hounds return to action on April 12, when they travel down the road to Worcester State to take on the Lancers at 3:30 p.m.