- Score: Pace 8, Assumption 6 (Game One); Assumption 2, Pace 1 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (9-14, 2-6 NE10); Pace (16-9, 6-2 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: The Assumption College baseball team split today's doubleheader with Pace University, as the Setters took game one 8-6, before the Hounds took the nightcap 2-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Senior Kevin O'Connor (Leominster, Mass. / Leominster) took the mound in game one and went 6.2 innings, allowing seven runs (four earned) on eight hits and four strikeouts. Freshman Kyle Autilio (Saugus, Mass. / Saugus) came on in relief and pitched the remaining 2.1 innings, surrendering just one unearned run.
- Pace jumped out to an early 4-0 lead as the Setters scored a pair of runs in both the second and third innings. Assumption responded in the fourth, as freshmen Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) and R.J. Libby (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) each recorded a single to put two men on with no outs. After sophomore Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) walked to load the bases, classmate Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) reached base on an error by the second baseman, allowing Brescia and Libby to score.
- After Pace piled on four more runs in the seventh inning, Assumption chipped away, scoring a run in the bottom of the seventh on an Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) RBI single, and again in the eighth when McQuade registered an RBI single.
- Trailing 8-4 heading into the bottom of the ninth inning the Hounds rallied. Brescia led off the inning with a walk, followed by a single by Libby and a Jaehnig walk to load the bases with no outs. Senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) then singled up the middle to plate both Brescia and Libby to cut the lead to 8-6 with still no outs. From there, Pace's Michael Amato buckled down to tallied three straight outs to give the Setters game one.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Brescia reached base four times in game one, finishing 2-for-3 with two walks and two runs. Libby also registered two hits, going 2-for-5 with two runs scored.
- Jaehnig finished the game 2-for-4 with an RBI and a walk, while Byrne recorded two RBI's and McQuade tallied two hits and an RBI.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Junior Mike Curtis (Wilmington, Mass. / Wilmington) started the nightcap for Assumption and was phenomenal, tossing a complete game while surrendering just an unearned run and striking out four batters.
- Jaehnig got Assumption on the board first, as the junior launched a homerun over the right field wall to give the Hounds a 1-0 lead.
- Pace tied the game at one run apiece in the second inning as the Setters scored an unearned run. From there Curtis found his groove, retiring 12 straight batters and 20 of the final 23 hitters he faced.
- The Hounds took the lead for good in the bottom of the fourth when Byrne led off the inning by reaching first on an error by the shortstop. Tralli then singled, followed by a single by sophomore Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) that scored Byrne from second.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Jaehnig finished 2-for-4 with a homerun to pace the Hounds at the plate in game two. Brescia went 1-for-3, while Tralli, McQuade and Quinlivan each recorded a hit.
- Junior Mike Schmidt (Jackson, N.J. / Jackson Memorial) worked the pitch count and drew three walks to lead Assumption in that category.
- The Hounds will look to keep the momentum going tomorrow, as they host Adelphi for a doubleheader starting at 12:00 p.m.