- Score: Franklin Pierce 4, Assumption 0 (Game One), Franklin Pierce 5, Assumption 0 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (8-11); Franklin Pierce (12-7)
- Location: Rindge, N.H. (Pappas Field)
- The Lead: Franklin Pierce used a pair of strong pitching performances as both starters registered a complete game shutout, keeping Assumption scoreless through the doubleheader. The Hounds will look to bounce back tomorrow as the two teams play a third game at 3:00 p.m.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Senior Kevin O'Connor (Leominster, Mass. / Leominster) started game one on the mound for the Hounds and registered a quality start, tossing 7.0 innings while surrendering four runs (three earned) and striking out seven batters. Freshman Kyle Autilio (Saugus, Mass. / Saugus) came on in relief and pitched a scoreless 8th inning allowing just one hit while tallying a punch-out.
- Franklin Pierce did the majority of its damage in the bottom of the first inning where the Ravens scored three runs. O'Connor settled in from there and recorded five scoreless innings to keep Assumption in the game. Franklin Pierce used two singles and an error to score their final run of the game in the seventh.
- Assumption threatened to score in the fourth when senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) connected on a one out double, before sophomore Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) hit a sacrifice fly to left center field to advance Byrne to third. The Hounds were unable to bring Byrne home, keeping the score at 3-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Junior Mike Schmidt (Jackson, N.J. / Jackson Memorial) led the way for the Hounds at the plate, going a perfect 2-for-2 with a walk to reach base on three occasions.
- Freshman Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) started the game with a single in the top of the first inning to finish 1-for-3 to go with a walk, while Byrne went 1-for-4 with the lone extra base hit in the game. Sophomore Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) registered the fifth and final hit for Assumption, going 1-for-3 with a single.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Junior Mike Curtis (Wilmington, Mass. / Wilmington) started the nightcap for Assumption and fell to 2-3 on the season after pitching 7.0 innings and allowing four runs on five hits and four walks, while striking out five batters. Freshman Ben Lambert (Saco, Maine / Thornton Academy) came on in the eighth inning and struck out a pair of batters while only surrendering an unearned run.
- Once again Franklin Pierce struck early, scoring a run in both the first and second inning before Curtis settled in and kept the Ravens scoreless for four consecutive innings. Down 2-0 in the seventh inning, Assumption placed two runners on with one out as Byrne reached on a fielder's choice and Tralli walked, but a foul out and a strikeout kept the Hounds off the board.
- Franklin Pierce added insurance runs in the seventh and eighth innings to close the scoring at 5-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sophomore Alex Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass. / Bishop Feehan) reached base twice on a pair of walks and stole a base, while Tralli also got on base twice via a single and a walk.
- The Hounds will look to get back on track tomorrow, as they close out their three game series with Franklin Pierce at 3:00 p.m.