- Score: Southern Conn. St. 10, Assumption 3
- Records: Southern Conn. St. (4-3-1); Assumption (6-6)
- Location: Fort Pierce, Fla.
- The Lead: The Assumption College baseball team took a 3-2 lead heading into the bottom pf the eighth inning, before Southern Connecticut State exploded for eight runs to earn a 10-3 win today in Florida.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Freshman Ben Lambert (Saco, Maine / Thornton Academy) pitched 6.0 strong innings to put Assumption in a position to win, as he surrendered just two runs on five hits to go with five strikeouts.
- Southern Connecticut took an early 1-0 lead as the Owls scored in the first inning, but Lambert took control from there, only allowing one more run in the sixth. The Hounds tied the game at one in the top of the fifth when junior Mike Schmidt (Jackson, N.J. / Jackson Memorial) hit a sacrifice fly to score freshman Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) from third base.
- Assumption took the lead in the top of the sixth when junior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) hit a one out single, followed by a walk by senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's). After freshman Matt Schneider (Dalton, Mass. / Wahconah Regional) singled to load the bases, Brescia drew a two out walk to force in a run and give the Hounds a 2-1 lead.
- Southern Connecticut tied the game in the next half inning, but Assumption took it right back as Jaehnig hit a sacrifice fly to center field to score sophomore Alex Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass. / Bishop Feehan) from third base, giving the Hounds a 3-2 lead heading into the bottom of the eighth inning.
- The Owls exploded in the eighth, using six hits, three walks and a hits batter to score eight runs and blow the game open, taking a commanding 10-3 lead in which they would hold on to and finish the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Jaehnig led the Hounds at the plate, finishing 3-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Brescia continues his streak of multi-hit games, extending it to five games to up his average to .400 on the early season.
- Freshman Nate Carney earned the win on the mound for Southern Connecticut, tossing six innings while allowing two runs (one earned) on six hits while striking out four batters.
- The Hounds return to action on tomorrow as they conclude their Spring Break trip in Florida with a single game against Concordia at 1:00 p.m.