- Score: Saint Anselm 8, Assumption 2
- Records: Assumption (6-5); Saint Anselm (4-6)
- Location: Winter Park, Fla. (Alfond Stadium)
- The Lead: The Assumption College baseball team dropped an 8-2 decision today to Saint Anselm College, stopping the Hounds win streak at three games. Freshman Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) continued his hot hitting at the plate as he went 2-for-3 to extend his multi-hit streak to four games.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior pitcher Kevin O'Connor (Leominster, Mass. / Leominster) started the game strong for Assumption, limiting Saint Anselm to just one run through the first four innings. After the Hounds took the lead in the top of the fifth inning on RBI singles by junior Mike Schmidt (Jackson, N.J. / Jackson Memorial) and senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's), the Hawks put three runs up in the bottom half as O'Connor was charged with three unearned runs.
- After Saint Anselm tacked on two more runs in the bottom of the sixth, Assumption tried to rally in the eighth. Brescia hit a two out single to left field, followed by Schmidt's single to second base. After Alex Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass. / Bishop Feehan) was hit by a pitch to load the bases, the Hawks relief pitcher Jared Ferris was able to coax a groundout to end the inning and limit the damage.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- O'Connor started the game for Assumption and posted a stat line of 6.0 innings pitched, six runs (two earned), on six hits, two walks and five strikeouts.
- Freshman Manny PegueroMelo (Boston, Mass. / Xaverian) came on in relief and pitched 1.2 innings, surrendering a run while striking out two batters, while senior Tom Brengel (Hicksville, N.Y. / Holy Trinity) finished the game tossing 0.1 innings and allowing a run.
- Brescia led the Hounds at the plate finishing 2-for-3 with a walk, while Schmidt also produced a multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with an RBI. Junior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) registered the lone extra base hit of the day for Assumption, connecting on a triple in the fifth inning.
- The Hounds return to action on tomorrow as they continue their Spring Break trip in Florida with a single game against NE10 foe Southern Connecticut at 3:00 p.m.