- Score: Assumption 7, Bentley 5
- Records: Assumption (6-4); Bentley (1-7)
- Location: Winter Park, Fla. (Alfond Stadium)
- The Lead: Junior Tom Horstkotte (Milford, Mass. / St. John's) improved to 2-0 on the season as the Hounds built up a 7-1 lead and hung on to defeat NE10 foe Bentley, 7-5. Assumption has now won five of their last six games as they continue to roll on their spring break trip in Florida.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Both teams remained scoreless through the first three innings before senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) led off the top of the fourth with a hit-by-pitch. Sophomore Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) followed that up with a single to right field and freshman R.J. Libby (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) walked to load the bases with no outs. The Hounds managed to push two runs across home plate as junior Mike Schmidt (Jackson, N.J. / Jackson Memorial) was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded and Libby came around to score on a balk.
- After Bentley managed a run in the bottom of the fourth to cut Assumption's lead in half, the Hounds exploded for four runs in the fifth. Sophomore Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) led off with a single up the middle, followed by subsequent hit-by-pitches from classmate Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) and junior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) to once again load the bases with no outs. Byrne walked to force a in a run and Tralli scored on a wild pitch, before Jaehnig scored on a wild pitch and Libby recorded a sacrifice fly to score the Hounds fourth run of the inning.
- The Hounds pushed their lead to 7-1 as Quinlivan doubled to right center field, bringing Schmidt all the way home from first base. Bentley made it close in the bottom of the sixth as the Falcons tallied four hits, two for extra-bases, to score four runs and cut the lead to 7-5.
- Sophomore Colton King (Westerly, R.I. / Moses Brown Prep) came on in relief and closed the game out, pitching the final three innings while allowing only one hit to earn his first save of the season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Horstkotte earned the start on the mound for the Hounds and went 6.0 innings, allowing five runs on eight hits while striking out a pair. King closed the game out by pitching the final 3.0 innings without surrendering a run.
- Quinlivan led the way at the plate for the Hounds, finishing 2-for-4 with a walk, an RBI and a run scored. Freshman Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) continued his hot hitting as the freshman has now recorded three straight multi-hit games after finishing 2-for-5 with a stolen base.
- The Hounds return to action on Thursday as they continue their Spring Break trip in Florida with a single game against NE10 foe Saint Anselm at 1:00 p.m.