- Score: Assumption 7, St. Anselm 4
- Record: Assumption (4-4), St. Anselm (0-5)
- Location: Winter Park, Fla.
The Lead: Assumption broke open a 3-2 contest with three solo home runs in the bottom of the seventh inning to come away with a 7-4 victory on Sunday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) opened up the scoring in the bottom of the second inning as he led off with a solo home run. However, the Hawks answered with a run in the ensuing frame to even the score at one apiece.
- Assumption took back the lead in the bottom of the fourth inning as R.J. Libby (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) doubled home Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) with one out in the frame. Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) followed with a double to left, pushing the lead to 3-1.
- St. Anselm cut the deficit to 3-2 with a one-out single in the top of the sixth, but Mike Curtis (Wilmington, Mass. / Wilmington) recorded consecutive outs to end the threat.
- Sophomore Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) led off the bottom of the seventh with a solo shot over the fence in left and Byrne followed with a homer two batters later. Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) extended the lead to 6-2 with a third home run in the frame.
- Curtis gave up a lead-off triple in the top of the eighth but retired the next three batters to get out of trouble. Brescia stretched the lead to 7-3 in the bottom of the frame but the Hawks scored twice in the top of the ninth for the 7-4 final.
INSIDE THE NUBMERS:
- Assumption hit five home runs in the contest, as Byrne recorded two of them. He finished the day 2-for-4. Brescia went 2-for-4 with a double and home run while Quilivan was 1-for-2 with a pair of walks.
- Curtis secured his first win of the season, going 8.0 innings while allowing five hits and two earned runs with four strikeouts. Gates took the loss for the Hawks as he went 5.0 innings while allowing three earned runs with three strikeouts.
- The Hounds return to action tomorrow as they continue their Spring Break trip in Florida with a single game against Concordia (N.Y.) at 2 pm.