- Score: Assumption 7, Rollins 0 (Game One); Assumption 8, Nyack 6 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (3-3); Rollins (9-4); Nyack (1-2)
- Location: Winter Park, Fla. (Rollins College)
- The Lead: The Assumption College baseball team opened up their 2017 Spring Break trip with a pair of wins over Rollins and Nyack today, as the Hounds bats came alive to score 15 runs over the course of the doubleheader.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
GAME ONE vs. ROLLINS
- Freshman Ben Lambert (Saco, Maine / Thornton Academy) recorded his first collegiate start for Assumption and pitched a gem, twirling six shutout innings while only allowing three hits and striking out three batters. Fellow freshman Manny PegueroMelo (Boston, Mass. / Xaverian) came on in relief and pitched a scoreless inning, tallying two punch-outs, while junior Kyle Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford) pitched the remaining two innings, maintaining the shutout has he only surrendered just one hit.
- Each team struggled to find any success at the plate in the opening two innings, as junior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) recorded the only hit of the opening frames. Sophomore Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) got the scoring started in the third when he launched a 1-2 pitch over the leftfield wall to give the Hounds a 2-0 lead.
- Assumption tacked on a run in the sixth and eighth inning, as Jaehnig scored on a groundout by sophomore Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian), before senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) crossed home plate on a RBI single by freshman Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter).
- The Hounds blew the game open in the top of the ninth, scoring three times to end the scoring at 7-0. Jaehnig started the rally with a two-out single through the right side of the infield. Byrne and sophomore Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) reached on back-to-back singles, with Jaehnig scoring on Quinlivan's, before McQuade reached on an error by the second baseman, allowing both runners to score.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Kevin O'Connor (Leominster, Mass. / Leominster) got the nod in the second game and improved to 2-0 on the season as the senior pitched six innings, allowing three runs (one earned) to go with nine strikeouts.
- Sophomore Alex Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass. / Bishop Feehan) led off the first inning with a walk and subsequently stole second base. With two outs, Byrne singled down the leftfield line to get the Hounds on the board first.
- In the third inning the Hounds struck again as junior Mike Schmidt (Jackson, N.J. / Jackson Memorial) and Tralli walked, followed by a double by Jaehnig to left field, scoring Schmidt from second. Byrne then recorded his second RBI of the game as he singled in Tralli from third base.
- The Hounds combined to score five runs in the fifth and sixth inning, using four hits including a homerun and two walks to do their damage. Jaehnig continued his torrid start to the season with a two-run blast in the fifth inning, as freshman Matt Schneider (Dalton, Mass. / Wahconah Regional) followed that up with a 2-RBI double down the right field line, scoring McQuade and Quinlivan.
- Nyack pushed home three runs between the sixth and seventh inning, as they used two errors to score their second and third runs of the contest in the sixth, before Carlos Pino singled home Luke Kelly in the bottom of the seventh.
- In the ninth inning the Warriors rallied to pull within two runs, but couldn't get any closer as sophomore Mike Keinz (North Branford, Conn. / Notre Dame) was able to work out of a pickle and strikeout the final batter of the game to strand two runners.
- The Hounds return to action tomorrow as they continue their Spring Break trip in Florida with a single game against Rollins at 11:00 a.m.