- Score: Assumption 9, Mansfield 4 (Game One); Mansfield 5, Assumption 4 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (1-1); Mansfield (2-4)
- Location: Carey, N.C. (USA Baseball Complex)
- The Lead: The Assumption College baseball team split the 2017 season opening doubleheader with Mansfield University today at the USA Baseball Complex in Cary, N.C. The Hounds won their first game of the season for the first time since 2010, defeating the Mountaineers 9-4, before dropping the nightcap 5-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Kevin O'Connor (Leominster, Mass. / Leominster) took the ball in game one and went six strong innings, allowing three runs (two earned) on six hits and three strikeouts. Sophomore Colton King (Westerly, R.I. / Moses Brown Prep) came on in relief in the seventh inning, surrendering just one hit, a homerun, before closing the door on the Mountaineers.
- Assumption came out red hot in the first inning, as sophomore Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) connected on a one out double to get the rally started. Junior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) followed that up with a double of his own to plate Tralli, while senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) singled to score Jaehnig, giving the Hounds an early 2-0 lead. After sophomore Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) was hit by a pitch and freshman R.J. Libby (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) walked to load the bases, classmate Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) hit a 2-RBI single to make it a 4-0 lead in the top half of first inning for the Hounds.
- After Assumption pushed home another run in the third to extend their lead to five, Mansfield responded with two of their own in the bottom half of the third on a two out, 2-RBI double by Peter Pena.
- In the top of the fourth, the Hounds loaded the bases as Tralli drew a leadoff walk, followed by a single by Byrne and a walk from Quinlivan. Sophomore Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) then recorded a sacrifice fly scoring Tralli, before Libby tallied is first collegiate hit, driving in two runs to blow the game open.
- The two teams swapped runs in the fourth and fifth inning, before Pena homered in the bottom of the seventh to close out the scoring on the game, 9-4, to give the Hounds game one of the doubleheader.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Tom Horstkotte (Milford, Mass. / St. John's) was on the rubber in game two and went the distance, surrendering five runs (three earned) on four hits, three walks and seven strikeouts.
- Much like in game one, Assumption jumped out on Mansfield early, scoring two runs in the top half of the first inning as Tralli and Jaehnig each registered RBI's.
- Not to be outdone, Mansfield drew two walks in the bottom half of the first inning before Pena launched a 3-run homerun over the outfield fence to give the home team a 3-2 lead. The Mountaineers weren't done, as Colby Schearer roped a two out, 2-RBI single to do all the damage in the game, as they led 5-2.
- Assumption got a run back in the top of the third when Quinlivan drove in Jaehnig on a sacrifice fly. The Hounds inched closer when Jaehnig hit his first homerun of the season in the fifth inning to pull the team within one heading into the sixth.
- The Hounds had a last crack at it in the bottom of the seventh and threatened, but couldn't get the game tying run across the plate. Junior Mike Schmidt (Jackson, N.J. / Jackson Memorial) led off the inning with a hit by pitch to get the tying run on base with no outs. Tralli and Jaehnig then walked to load the bases with one out, but the Hounds couldn't do anymore damage, falling in game two 5-4.
- The Hounds wrap up the opening weekend tomorrow, as Assumption takes on Mansfield in a doubleheader beginning at 10 a.m. in Cary, N.C.