- Score: Game One - Assumption 7, Saint Michael's 3; Game Two - Assumption 4, Saint Michael's 1
- Records: Assumption (9-10, 4-1 NE-10, 3-0 NE-10 Div.) Saint Michael's (0-11, 0-3 NE-10, 0-3 NE-10 Div.)
- Location: Northborough, Mass. (New England Baseball Complex)
- The Lead: Led by a pair of complete-game pitching performances, the Assumption College baseball team completed a three-game series sweep of Saint Michael's as the Hounds came away with 7-3 and 4-1 victories on Saturday afternoon. Sophomore Tom Horstkotte (Milford, Mass./Saint John's) went the distance for the win in game one, while sophomore Mike Curtis (Wilmington, Mass./Wilmington) took a no-hitter into the ninth and struck out 15 in the second game.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Purple Knights got on the board first with a leadoff home run in the second by Trevor Allen for the early 1-0 margin.
- The Hounds struck for two runs in the bottom of the fifth to take the lead at 2-1. Senior Colin Clancy (Chelmsford, Mass./Chelmsford) led off the inning with a double down the right field line and eventually scored on an RBI single by senior Tom Paine (Upton, Mass./Nipmuc Regional). Senior Michael Panza (West Haven, Conn./Notre Dame) scored the go-ahead run from third on a sacrifice fly to left by junior Mike Coggeshall (Shrewsbury, Mass./Shrewsbury).
- The game remained that way until the top of the seventh when Allen scored the tying run on a double off the center field fence by Peter Bocchino. The bottom of the seventh was the deciding inning in the game as the Hounds chased Saint Michael's starting pitcher Peter Cross from the contest. Alex Winkelmann came on in relief with the bases loaded and one out with the game still tied at 2-2.
- A Coggeshall sacrifice fly to left scored freshman Alex Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass./Bishop Feehan) for the eventual game-winning run. Paine and Panza scored on a bases loaded single to right from junior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass./Saint John's) for the 5-2 lead, followed by an RBI single from freshman Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn./Northwest Catholic) to score sophomore Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass./Boston College).
- The two teams traded late runs, en route to the 7-3 final for the Hounds.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Hounds held an 11-4 advantage in total hits as Panza was a team-best 4-for-5 at the plate with three runs scored. Coggeshall had three RBI, while Tralli was 2-for-4 and Byrne was 1-for-2 with two runs batted in.
- Horstkotte allowed just four hits and two earned runs while striking out six to improve to 3-1 for the Hounds. On the other side, Cross went six innings while giving up five runs on seven hits with three walks and two strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In game two, the Hounds went ahead 1-0 in the bottom of the third as an RBI single to center from Coggeshall scored Panza. Byrne increased the lead to 2-0 in the sixth as he crushed a pitch over the left field wall for his second homer of the year. The long ball continued in the eighth as Coggeshall launched a pitch over the trees in right for his team-leading fourth home run of the year and the 4-0 advantage.
- Despite the deep homers, the story of the second game was Curtis as he fanned a career-high 15 batters and took the no-hit bid into the ninth inning. After getting the first out, pinch hitter Matt Downing singled to left for the first hit of the day for the Purple Knights. Saint Michael's eventually scored in the inning as the Hounds picked up the 4-1 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption held the slim 5-2 edge in total hits in the second game as Coggeshall was the lone player in the game with multiple hits at 2-for-4 with three RBI.
- Curtis improved to 2-1 on the season as he allowed two hits and one run with one walk and 15 strikeouts. For the weekend, the Hounds pitchers picked up 39 strikeouts in three games.
- Dylan Lavery took the loss for the Purple Knights to fall to 0-2 as he went six innings while giving up just two hits and two earned runs with three walks and three strikeouts.
- Assumption is back in action on Thursday, March 31st as the Hounds travel to Merrimack College for a divisional game beginning at 3:30 p.m. in North Andover.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the baseball team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.