- Score: Game One: American Int'l 8, Assumption 6; Game Two: Assumption 8, American Int'l 8
- Records: Assumption (6-9) American International (5-10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: In the 2016 home opener on Saturday afternoon at Rocheleau Field, the Assumption College baseball team earned a split with visiting American International College. The Hounds dropped game one by an 8-6 final before pulling the 8-4 victory over the Yellow Jackets in the second game.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption got on the board in the second as junior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass./Saint John's) scored on a sacrifice fly by freshman Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn./Northwest Catholic). The Yellow Jackets answered in the next inning with a two-run homer to right by Tyler Geffert for the 2-1 lead. The lead was shortlived though as freshman Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass./Saint John's) scored in the bottom of the fourth to tie the game at 2-2 as Byrne laced an RBI double to left center.
- In the top of the sixth, the Yellow Jackets regained the lead for good with a pair of runs to make it 4-2. Assumption got one back in the bottom of the seventh with a two-out rally as senior Michael Panza (West Haven, Conn./Notre Dame) reached on a double to deep left. After moving to third on a passed ball, Panza came home on a single up the middle from senior Tom Paine (Upton, Mass./Nipmuc Regional).
- AIC answered with a decisive four-run eighth to seize the 8-3 advantage before Byrne scored again after reaching on a deep double to left to cut the lead back to 8-4 heading to the ninth. The Hounds plated two runs in the bottom of the ninth as sophomore Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass./Boston College) and pinch runner Matthew Abernathy (Frisco, Texas/John Paul II) came home to make it 8-6. That was as close as the Hounds would get though as the Yellow Jackets took game one.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Panza was 3-for-6 in the leadoff spot in game one, while Byrne was outstanding with a 4-for-5 outing with two runs scored and one run batted in.
- Senior Steve Flynn (Worcester, Mass./St. Peter-Marian) took the loss to fall to 0-4 for the Hounds. He went seven innings while scattering nine hits with four earned runs and five strikeouts.
- Brian Karp picked up the win with a seven-inning effort for AIC as he improved to 2-1 overall. Mike Coyne threw 1.1 innings of relief to earn his first save of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption jumped on the Yellow Jackets early as Jaehnig's triple to left scored junior Mike Coggeshall (Shrewsbury, Mass./Shrewsbury) with two outs for the 1-0 advantage. In the second, the Hounds put together a five-run inning to seize control at 6-0. Highlighting the frame was a two-RBI double over the first base bag by senior Colin Clancy (Chelmsford, Mass./Chelmsford) that scored Tralli and Byrne.
- The Hounds added a single run in the bottom of the fourth to push the lead up to 7-0 as Jaehnig scored on an RBI groundout from Byrne. AIC got on the board in the top of the sixth as Geffert came home on a two-out single by Karl Kapinos to make it 7-1.
- The Yellow Jackets picked up two runs in the seventh and one in the eighth, while the Hounds countered with a single run in the eighth to account for the 8-4 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Hounds pounded out 15 hits in game two, including three each from Jaehnig, Clancy and freshman Alex Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass./Bishop Feehan).
- On the mound, sophomore Tom Horstkotte (Milford, Mass./Saint John's) improved to 2-1 on the season as he went six innings with just three hits allowed and 10 strikeouts. Colin Sledzik took the loss for the Yellow Jackets as he surrendered 10 hits and seven runs in just four innings pitched to drop to 1-2 overall.
- Assumption is back in action on Tuesday, March 22nd as the Hounds host the University of Bridgeport for a non-conference game beginning at 3:30 p.m.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the baseball team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.