- Score: Assumption 6, Nyack 1
- Records: Assumption (5-8) Nyack (1-10)
- Location: Winter Park, Fla. (Alfond Stadium)
- The Lead: Led by a complete-game performance from sophomore starter Kyle Chudoba (Oxford, Conn./Oxford), the Assumption College baseball team closed its spring break trip with a 6-1 victory over Nyack College on Saturday morning at Rollins College. The Hounds end the trip on a two-game winning streak and a 5-8 overall record.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption took a 2-0 lead in the top of the first behind RBI doubles from sophomore Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass./Boston College) and freshman Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass./Saint John's). The Hounds doubled that lead in the bottom of the fifth as Jaehnig launched a two-run homer that also scored senior Tom Paine (Upton, Mass./Nipmuc Regional) for the 4-0 edge.
- Nyack got on the board in the top of the sixth on an RBI double to left by Ryan Kahl that scored John Kennedy for the 4-1 margin. The Hounds closed out the scoring in the bottom of the seventh as junior Mike Coggeshall (Shrewsbury, Mass./Shrewsbury) homered to right center for a two-run shot that scored senior Michael Panza (West Haven, Conn./Notre Dame).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Chudoba scattered 10 hits over nine innings, allowing just one run with no walks and seven strikeouts as he improved to 1-2 on the season. Jack Kelly took the loss for Nyack as he allowed five runs in 6.1 innings and fell to 1-2 overall.
- With today's homers, Coggeshall and Jaehnig are now tied with Quinlivan for the team lead in home runs with three thru 13 games.
- Jaehnig finished 2-for-3 with three RBI and two runs scored, while Paine was 2-for-3 with a pair of runs scored.
- For Nyack, Jesse Barton was 3-for-4, while Kennedy was 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- The Hounds are back in action on Saturday, March 19th as the Hounds host American International for a doubleheader beginning at Noon at Rocheleau Field.
For the latest on Assumption College Athletics, follow the Hounds via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For more information, contact the Office of Athletic Communications at 508-767-7240.
- Fans can also sign up for email updates and text message alerts for the baseball team and all of the other 23 Assumption varsity sports by clicking here.